Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start-up the truck(in the morning or when ever it sits for an extended period) I dont hear the noise that the FCIM makes (the static sound) its starts really rough, if I try to drive before its warmed up all the way it shakes, misses, smokes like crazy! As soon as it reaches temp, it drives perfectly fine. Last weekend I used the tech files on here and did the FCIM repair, it ran perfect all week untill this morning. Is it time for a new FCIM? Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Load test your batteries, contact [email protected].

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Check your ficm voltage when it gets cold weak ficms die!!!!!! Anything below 44 volts is bunk!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just had same issue, replaced ficm, now it's good. But to make sure here it goes:

1. Ficm does different things (i believe pulsing inj is one of them)when EOilTemp is below 68*F, so the test will need to be done in the morning after sitting ALOT.

2. I think older ficm programs don't pulse injectors(I think)

3. My ficm volts were fine after engine warmup, so I was stumped for a while, but they were low when not at full temp. After you've load tested batteries and checked alternator(it can take a few mins of running to make voltage). Follow the test at Circuit Board Repair - Ford 6.0 FICM Repair | Circuit Board Medics. If your volts go below 45v then the ficm power board is bad.

4. If the ficm is bad like this, check wiring for chafes and shorts, then before you replace it(because you can't buy a logic half shell) take it to ford to get the ficm updated with latest flash, and if the logic board is bad(possible because it's not pulsing). If its good then you can get the half shell from ford, or get the bulletproof diesel one-way better, have the dealer do it or DIY however you choose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also might be another issue seperate or in addition to the ficm, also I didn't have smoke from mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts