Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in Wyoming. Winter is kicking my ***. My 4wd is not working. Truck has 7000 miles on it. Dealership is closed tomorrow and I need 4wd tomorrow. I'm headed up a mountain with a 27 ft enclosed trailer. No way 2wd will cut it. The truck has manual shift transfer case. The lever will not budge from 2wd. I have pulled quite hard on the lever and I don't want to break it. I tried shifting while driving forward, reverse and neutral. I crawled under the truck and checked the linkage out. Looks perfect. No rust or snow or ice. I sprayed all the linkage with penetrating oil about 10 min ago. I figured I would let it set for the night and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
I didn't know you could get a 2016 with manual shift 4x4. Sounds like your on the right track, pop the linkage off at the transfer case and see if you can turn it with a wrench or channellocks to engage it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I just popped linkage off the transfer case. The linkage and shift lever move smoothly. The transfer case won't budge. I put a pry bar on it and gave it the onion. It did not budge. I guessing the transfer case is messed up.

·
Administrator
29,103 Posts
not a real common issue

try turning the front driveshaft with the axle unlocked it will turn the innards and may help

( this should have been accomplished when the hubs auto locked but there may be a problem there also

that we can verify next )

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Manual t case won't have auto hubs. Turning the front drive shaft may help if not you may have some internal issues. Check the fluid level.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Does the 2016 still use the nv271 or did ford switch to something else?

·
Administrator
29,103 Posts
Manual t case won't have auto hubs. Turning the front drive shaft may help if not you may have some internal issues. Check the fluid level.
good catch

so make sure the hubs are in the free position

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just tried spinning the front drive shaft while someone in the cab was pulling on the shift lever with hubs unlocked. No success. Idk what the deal is. This is absolutely pitiful for a truck this new. Shame on FORD.

·
Registered
820 Posts
curious if you have used the 4x4 system on the truck yet. I know hind sight is always 20/20 but i never leave the lot without testing it. Wonder if it was DOA from factory.

I have seen in older manual cases, MUD, snow ICE block linkage but you've checked that.

Check fluid, maybe it has water in it causing to to freeze up in the cold.

Kind of odd though.

Sorry for your troubles. We've all had them and it unfortunately is never at a good time. Sometimes i want to kick Murphy's butt so bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts