Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't posted in a while as my truck has been purring like a kitten. In fact, it was purring like a kitten at 75mph down the highway the other day (and I said, man, this thing is running GREAT!), seconds later, it coughed, sputtered, then ran again, then coughed, sputtered, ran, then died as if it were out of gas. It showed about 1/4 tank so I thought it was odd. I had a buddy come get me and we went and filled up a 5 gallon can. The truck started and I drove it about 4 miles and filled the tank all the way up. Problem solved, right? I pulled out, jumped on the ramp to get back on the interstate and within a few hundred feed it died again. I couldn't get the blasted thing started for anything. Had it towed to the house and did some reading. Ended up putting new batteries in it because the ones in it were pretty old. It ran like a top...until I drove it to work. about 10 miles away from the house, it did it again only this time I was very close to a truck garage. They looked at it and put a scanner on it, found the cam sensor to be bad and replaced it. I picked it up and it ran great until I tried to get on it. It has horrible miss and hesitation now.

Some things I've done so far:
- replaced the fuel filter. It didn't seem to be getting enough pressure/gas
- Batteries
- I've ordered a new fuel pump as I suspect it's going bad. Can't hurt to replace it.
- I've also order an ICP sensor and a new Cam Sensor (just in case the one they put in is bad)

Any other thoughts or ideas would be great! The hesitation was not there prior to the "out of gas" issue and prior to the cam sensor replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try checking the ICP connector for oil in connection. Or it could also be an EPBV/tube leading to it (exhaust back pressure valve) that is failing or clogged which is what communicates with your PCM telling it what to do when accelerating more than normal. also how many miles are on truck and have injectors ever been done/had issues?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Crazy as it seems, it could have a b*ttload of air still in the system. Keep reading... I just did the Hutch and Harpoon mods on my tank, good time to do it with it running "out" of fuel at 1/4 tank. I took it down, opened it up and found the fuel pickup screen / foot was in a hundred pieces in the bottom of the tank and the screens in the mixing chamber were dirty. The return line is already close to the pickup and with the foot off, it's right next to it. Turbulence / foaming air goes right back in like that. Cleaned it all up, did the mods, put it all back together, poured in TEN GALLONS of new fuel, cycled ignition and fuel pump probably a dozen times, and it fired right up. THEN IT RAN TERRIBLE AND STALLED. As soon as any air in the system hit those injectors, it didn't like that at all !! I cycled the fuel pump another six or eight times, cranked it and it ran GREAT. I went immediately and put in another 24.757 gallons and it was full to the cap. It took a while to get all that air out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I didn't realize that the 7.3 drank Gas?! I thought it drank Diesel!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the same thing my 2002 7.3 was doing. I kept replacing the cam sensors (and yes I was using the good ones from ford) it would run for a day then back to no power and dying. I had the injector harness hpop ipr and all sensors changed out over $2500 got it back thinking all was well, drove 50 miles up the road and it started again, so I turn around and limped back to their shop. Now their telling me it's the engine wiring harness another $700. I havn't got it back yet so when I do we will see. I guess it's a process of elimination...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After replacing the fuel pump, screen filters in the tank, fuel filter, and hoping i could "burp the system" and thinking it was air in the lines, i finally decided to replace the CAM sensor with a true OEM sensor. It runs like a scalded cat now. The sensor was the easiest part to replace, for sure! The sensor put in by the shop i took it to was definitely an after market sensor. Hard to believe something so inexpensive and easy to replace would be the cause of all the problems i was having. I'm buying a spare and putting it in my glove box since it's something that could be done on the side of the road in a matter of minutes and could save me hundreds (possibly thousands) of dollars and countless hours next time. On the flip side, i replaced a bunch of stuff that probably needed to be replaced anyway AND I learned A LOT! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update the new engine wiring harness did solve my issues I guess the old wiring harness was pretty much cooked my 7.3 only has 458000 miles... We're going for a million.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts