Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I found a 96' F250 with the 7.3 turbo that I really like. I took it to a mechanic to get it checked out this morning. He ran the computer check and found what he called very minor things. He said it had a slight miss while idleing. This was not on his computer but something he could hear and feel in the stick shift.
The truck had just been driven eight miles and was warm, however I could not tell how warm because the temp gauge was not working.

Now, finally to my problem and question. My mechanic told me that the miss could be caused by either an injector or a worn cylinder and that he could not check the injectors because the temp sensor was not functioning. He was able to "buzz" the injectors and that checked good.

Does that seem right? Could a miss be anything else?

The shop quoted me a price of $3200 for replacing all eight injectors with brand new non rebuilt ones.

The truck has 180,000 miles, ext cab, 4X4 and everything works except for the "little" miss and it could be mine for a total of $5800.

What should I do? Your help is appreciated.

Matt.

·
Registered
234 Posts
sorry i can't help you, but just hang in there and someone here who has done injectors will chim in help ya out, i am pretty sure though that you could do the injectors for a lot less than the shop quoted you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
no problem, also welcome to the Org.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If he did a buzz test then it should not be the injectors. As far as the price for those new injectors that is way high!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well i just ripped out and rebuilt my injectors and got the pistons in them for stage 1's for about $350 but if you just want to rebuild yours it would be $250 but you would have to rebuild them yourself, you could also buy stage ones for around $900 and replace them yourself which isnt to hard at all and with stage 1's you wont see any difference in perfrmane unless you get a chip so you wont have to worry about your egts to much

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. I have read a lot the past week about the 7.3diesel and I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable before I do anything other and regular maintanance. I've been into gas engines before but this seems like a whole different ball game.

Is there anything to look for to make the idle smoother?

As far as I know there has been no mods done to the truck other than a boost gauge and a pyrometer installed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I have read a lot the past week about the 7.3diesel and I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's going to take me some time to feel comfortable before I do anything other and regular maintanance. I've been into gas engines before but this seems like a whole different ball game.

Is there anything to look for to make the idle smoother?

As far as I know there has been no mods done to the truck other than a boost gauge and a pyrometer installed.
If it has those it might have had a chip at one time.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
welcome to the org!

how bad is the miss? i would have said that about mine, but have been told that feeling is normal for my obs. so im not too worried. but agian, how bad is the miss... and is this guy a diesel mechanic?

if it were injectors i would seriously spend time in the tech section here and watch the injector replacement vids. you could save a ton if you learn to do it yourself like others said. that price for replacement if ne wis way high, and i wouldnt bother with new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To tell you the truth I didn't even notice a miss in the engine.

The mechanic works in a shop that does nothing but diesel work.

The price of $5800 seems good according to the info I've found on the internet and I it's well within my price range.

What say you guys?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
that is a fair deal. is it a crew cab? 4x4? that helps us with price.

ill let a few more expirienced chime in as i dont want to give any bad advice.

imo, if its well within your price range then that might mean you have some mod money left over :evillol::senile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have to say that a lot of the powerstrokes I've delt with kind of feel like they are missing at an idle, the early models worse than late. if your mech. did a buzz test and came out good then its probably not injectors. I had one that was missing and it was in the computer. I think a new comp. was about 400. that was a few years ago probably cheaper now?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Matt, The early Powerstrokes have a kind of rough idle, very chuggy. Especially compared to the '99 and up trucks. (wether it be a 7.3L, 6.0L, or 6.4L). The old trucks run more like a tractor than anything else.

As stated earlier, if the injector buzz test was good, then I doubt you have any injector problems. The computers can get silly. (as they're around 13-14 years old now. nothin quite like old electronics)

If you've wrenched on gass motors before, and are comfortable with that, I don't see any reason why wrenching on a diesel motor would be much different for you. Just do your research, learn as much as you can about the motor (which is easy to do here), and get a subscription to Alldatadiy.com. Lots of good info there. (since a paper manual for the 7.3that's worth a darn, is really tough to find)

And, if in doubt, or if you've got a question about something, just throw it up here, and the knowledge held within this great forums people, is accesable on tap. (the guys here are great......wouldn't trade em for nothin).:thumb::thumb::thumb:

mike

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
thats good to know! my 95 (made in 94) has a rough idle, that just confirms what i have been told about my idle. thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad I found this place. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't notice a miss when idleing but I'm not a diesel man, yet.

I'm going to buy that truck tomorrow. I'll take some pictures and share them.
I've wanted one of these for a long time and now is my chance.

It's also my favorite style or look, the 96'-97' model.

Thanks for all the help and learning me. My son wants to do the happy dance because dad is getting a truck.

Matt.

·
Registered
523 Posts
feel free to ask any questions, here in this forum people don't get ragged on to much for asking redundant questions, however I would ask that you learn and use the search function as there have been alot of questions already asked and answered.

Oh and Congrats on joining the rattle can family!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts