Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the powerstroke forum and wanted to say hi. I am the manager of a small mobile wheel repair company and one of our trucks is my 2002 F250 4x4 Lariat 7.3. Sweet truck and an awful nice office. I could use some help and direction on where to look for fuel mileage issues. I regularly tow a 7,000 lb trailer and I cannot seem to get over about 9mpg. Part of our reason for going with the diesels were thinking we would justify the cost difference of fuel by higher mileage than a gasser. Are there things I can look for that could be causing such low mileage? Our other truck, a Duramax, is getting almost 14 towing the same trailer. Really sucks because he is such a chevy guy and I really wanted my powerstroke.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
start by checking and changing your fuel filters. Is everything else stock on the truck. What size tires are you running and what gearing in the rear end

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
welcome to the org :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

Well you are still getting better mileage, my F250 with a 460 got 4 gallons to the mile.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ok ok, it was actually about 4 mpg towing.:crazy:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
:ORG welcome: Is the duramax 4x4 also? is it a dually? does it have the allison transmission? Gotta make sure we are comparing apples to apples here too. knowhatimean, vern?

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site. Glad to have you on here. There is a ton of info available on the fuel mileage subject. Help us help you by describing your truck as stated before. What mods? Are you stock? etc. That will help a lot. Thanks, and again, Welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
WELCOME TO THE ORG SHAWN!!

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
:welcome1: to the ORG Shawn!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I am not sure where, if, I should move my questions about my mileage. The truck is a bone stock 02 4x4 extended cab F250 lariat running all terrain, mostly highway tires with about 70K miles on the truck. I am not sure on the gearing, but would be open if anyone could tell me an easy way to find out. Being a company truck, we do not want to spend tons and tons of money finding out what works and what does not. I am, of course, looking at an intake improvement of som sort. I have heard there is a way to cut a hole in the bulkhead behind the grill that supposedely helps out. Has anyone had much luck with just replacing the stock air filter with a bullydog or something that fits factory box and opening up the bulk head? I was thinking about going to royal purple on the next oil change, but have seen something on here about it being really bad. Also, if anyone could tell me if diesel fuel still needs treatment here in the south to avoid fungus buildup in the summer. I know I used to have to add something to my old Mercedes.

Shawn

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
:ORG welcome:

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Welcome to the Org!

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts