Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, Hi. My name is David. I live in the Grand forks Area, ND (temporarily) until my wife finishes graduate school. I'm from Tulsa, OK. I do hazardous materials cleanup, industrial chemical cleaning and I'm also a Paramedic/Volunteer Firefighter. I also am enjoying my new PSD :)

I intend on doing some things to my truck in order to get th best MPG and make it last a LONG time without sacrificing performance. But I don't know what would be the best for the truck. Like I said I'm new to the powerstroke, and diesels in general. I am not really looking to add more power or torque as I use the truck as a work vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I am not against it. If I add some power along the way to making it more fuel efficient, and add longevity, then I am all for it. Here is what I want to do to it. (Keep in mind I have already done the intake.)

Exhaust,
A tuning kit, ecm mod, chip, or whatever you call it.
An EGR delete Kit (currently looking at the liberator but open to other ideas)
ARP Studs
An intake elbow (recommend a brand?)
Some guages (EGT, oil temp, oil Pressure, fuel pressure, boost and whatever else is recommended for my application)

Here are things I am THINKING of doing but not for sure.
A stock 07 PSD turbo (heard they are more reliable???)
Injectors that are know to last a LONG time, not for more power (can anyone recommend any?)

Other things I want to do. NOT performance wise, but might affect something else I may want to address. (I'm open to opinions on all these items)

Warn Winch
Ranch hand Bumper Front and rear
Some sort of leveling kit. (Don't know which one yet. Depends on how much the new bumper and my winch ways down the nose.)
A High Idle mod? (Its a manual, I'm convinced it can be done, but not sure how. Any ideas?)

ALSO: Can anyone recommend a place to get all of this done (performance stuff only) at once? I am not against driving several hundred miles as long as I know its done right. I'm also not against paying someone who doesn't work for a shop/dealership if they can teach me some stuff along the way. I really want to learn, but a little scared I'll screw something up.

Thanks in advance for the help and I'm sure I will have some more questions along the way.

David K.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might as well say it, I understand you don't exactly buy a 1 ton truck to get good fuel milage. I charge by the mile for waht I pull for work, so the more i can get, the more I make. (I'm sure yall understand :D)

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,293 Posts
I must admit - I am jealous. That is a great list.

Get the updated oil feed and drain tubes also.
You may want to consider a fuel crossover kit.
There is a coolant upgrade to the heads - but I do not know much about it.
The DashDaq is the best option for a tuner and it is ALMOST a complete set of gauges.
Some would say that when you are into the engine that far, replace the core of your oil cooler.
Also - it is never too late for a coolant filter.

Hopefully some others will come along w/ some recommendations on where you could go to get it all done.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
David K--- Welcome to the ORG.... nice to have you!

You have a great list of items there. There are a few things that you might want to consider. We have some unique products that our customers love!

A customer favorite is our EGR Cooler Upgrade (as opposed to an all-out delete or bypass). We also have an 6.0L Bullet-Proof-Kit that will help your truck run a long long time. It has a lot of advantages over the stock configuration.

The main pattern failures addressed by this upgrade kit are:

1. Plugged or restricted oil side of the engine oil cooler.
2. A compromised oil/coolant barrier inside the engine oil cooler resulting in the mixing of oil and coolant.
3. High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) filter screen failure resulting in possible HPOP failure.
4. Restricted coolant flow to the EGR cooler caused by a plugged or restricted coolant side of the engine oil cooler.
5. Early injector failure due to overheated and poorly filtered oil.
6. Early engine wear due to overheated and poorly filtered oil.
7. Coolant reservoir (degas) venting coolant due to flash boiling of the coolant in the EGR cooler.
8. EGR cooler rupture failure.
9. Immediate or delayed catastrophic loss of oil pressure due to a faulty oil filter housing drain valve.

This kit is a wonderful way to keep your 6.0L on the road and out of the shop.

Not only do we engineer, manufacture and sell these products, but we also install them too.

Ford Power Stroke 6.0L Parts Upgrades from BulletProofDiesel.com

Arizona Mobile Auto Repair, Phoenix/Mesa

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

Raul is a great person to go through for anything you need and I highly recommend him!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Guys. I will def be looking into that oil cooler.

What do yall think about The fuel crossover kit? Who knows about the collant upgrade to the heads and the coolant filter setup?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bump:Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
Good to see another Okie on here. I'm not much help on all the mods and upgrades as I too am relatively new to the diesel world. Welcome to the .org!!:thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to see another Okie on here. I'm not much help on all the mods and upgrades as I too am relatively new to the diesel world. Welcome to the .org!!:thumb:
Tks. I'm actually from Skiatook. My wife is studying up here in ND. I ll be back in 726 days. But I'm Not counting.:wink[3]:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:bump: Still looking for more opinions. I KNOW you guys are opinionated when it comes to these trucks:hehe:

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
Tks. I'm actually from Skiatook. My wife is studying up here in ND. I ll be back in 726 days. But I'm Not counting.:wink[3]:
A friend of mine is from Skiatook. Mickey Manzer and his brother Todd Manzer. Do you know them?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A friend of mine is from Skiatook. Mickey Manzer and his brother Todd Manzer. Do you know them?
Sorry. Can't say that I do. I was a Volunteer FF out there. I miss it alot. ND is nice. Cost of living is super-cheap. But its not home and its COLD. I really wish I could do that high idle mod.:Rant:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the org, bro:thumb:

I'd help you on your list of mods, but I am currently broke and my mods are in a temporary holding pattern while I tread water for a while (at least I can still make the payment).

I have a ready-lift leveling kit and trackbar on my truck. It raises the front 2.5 inches and I can't tell it from stock as far as driveability. I paid $500 or so for the kit and the trackbar and the shop installed it for $70.00. Then I had to get it aligned. So, I'm into it for about $650 and am satisfied. I would have raised the whole truck 4" but I bought the truck primarily to tow, so I went with a leveling kit only.

Good luck and enjoy your ride:woot:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the org, bro:thumb:

I'd help you on your list of mods, but I am currently broke and my mods are in a temporary holding pattern while I tread water for a while (at least I can still make the payment).

I have a ready-lift leveling kit and trackbar on my truck. It raises the front 2.5 inches and I can't tell it from stock as far as driveability. I paid $500 or so for the kit and the trackbar and the shop installed it for $70.00. Then I had to get it aligned. So, I'm into it for about $650 and am satisfied. I would have raised the whole truck 4" but I bought the truck primarily to tow, so I went with a leveling kit only.

Good luck and enjoy your ride:woot:

Thanks. I think a 2.5 will be good. I'm going to wait to do it until after I put my ranch hand and winch on since they weight about 300 lbs total. And I'm pretty sure that it gonna out weigh what I take off of it. Who makes your leveling kit? where did you get it put on at?

Thanks

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks. I think a 2.5 will be good. I'm going to wait to do it until after I put my ranch hand and winch on since they weight about 300 lbs total. And I'm pretty sure that it gonna out weigh what I take off of it. Who makes your leveling kit? where did you get it put on at?

Thanks
Here is what I got: 2005-2007 Ford F350 Super Duty 4wd 2.5" ReadyLift SST Hybrid Lift Kit Suspension System

I had it installed by Foggy Bottom Off-Road in Aransas Pass. Kind of a long haul for you:rofl:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. But unfortunately my truck has leaf springs so that lift won't work on my truck. Thanks though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts