Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I just purchased a 2000 F250 XLT 4x4 with the 7.3L for $2k the other day. This is my first diesel. It has 406k miles and body is a little rough, but the engine seems strong.

I started searching for a pickup to pull a car trailer so I can haul my 1957 Chevy pickup around to shops. It did not need to be pretty, just needed to be able to reliably pull a trailer. I was looking for a 90's Chevy gasser as I know them inside and out, but this popped up near me for cheaper than one of those. The truck really did not want to start when I went to look at it. It was turning over, but not firing. I bought it anyway assuming that I'll have to toy with the injectors. I had to buy 2 new batteries as the owner was keeping his. Well once I installed the batteries, it started up first try with no smoke out the exhaust. It sounds healthy TBH. It's loud, but I think it's because the exhaust is broken in half near the rear axle. The bed rails are for sure toast and will need to be redone, or I just go find a used flatbed to install. As a bonus though, the stretched out seat fabric turned out to be really nice seat covers. The first owner apparently installed them the day he bought it, so the stock seats look unused!

I thought I'd join the forums here to learn more about these trucks such as what the first things I should do to this truck as it has high miles and I have no knowledge of its past maintenance other than the fact that the 1st owner put all the miles on it, died and the 2nd owner let it sit for 2 years. I also would like to remove this 2nd tank from the bed. I'm sure you all will help me out!

I suppose since there is a military only section, I will include that I am a US Naval vet 2000-2004.
I will check all the stickied posts, but I'm sure I will have more questions.
Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Welcome to the Org and thanks for your service.

Hang around in the 7.3 sections and trust me in no time at all you'll be at information overload lol. A very valuable tool to have access to is a way to scan these trucks for codes and readings. Most recommend Forscan on a tablet/cellphone/old laptop and some sort of OBD II adaptor for bluetooth reading. This whole setup will cost you about $50 and will give you near shop tech abilities.

Again welcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts