Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an f450 crew cab long box dually, and I pull a 53 foot trailer all the time. When the trailer is empty, my gcvw is 17000 Lbs. When I am loaded, I'm 26000 Lbs. I have a 4.30 rear end, and I am getting 6-8 MPG empty, and usually around the 6-7 when I'm loaded. I run between Alberta Canada to just south of Portland Oregon, so I climb some fair grades. I've been browsing the site for a few hours, and still have a few questions. A little more power would be nice, but not a concern at this time. My big concern is mileage. I drive 800 miles one way, and at the moment am paying upwards of $4.19 per gallon. On average I am paying about $1000 for a round trip. 2 trips per week means a monthly fuel bill of $8000. So a couple 2 or 3 MPG's better could save me a lot of $$$.

Does anyone have experience towing heavy weights and cranking up their power? I'm thinking of getting a chip with the DPF delete, getting rid of the DPF and CAT, and possibly an intake. What are the best products to go with for chips, complete exhaust, and intake? Whats my best option?

·
Registered
42 Posts
go with spartans dpf kit and you will see at the very least 3mpg.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
If you run the dpf delete programming and dont pull the DPF you are gonna have issues with a clogged up filter

·
Registered
818 Posts
Is that with changing the exhaust, or just turning the DPF off?
That will be a programmer to turn regen off and a DPF DELETE PIPE, There is a forum in the thread that shows pictures of the pipe installed and uninstalled.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got an f450 crew cab long box dually, and I pull a 53 foot trailer all the time. When the trailer is empty, my gcvw is 17000 Lbs. When I am loaded, I'm 26000 Lbs. I have a 4.30 rear end, and I am getting 6-8 MPG empty, and usually around the 6-7 when I'm loaded. I run between Alberta Canada to just south of Portland Oregon, so I climb some fair grades. I've been browsing the site for a few hours, and still have a few questions. A little more power would be nice, but not a concern at this time. My big concern is mileage. I drive 800 miles one way, and at the moment am paying upwards of $4.19 per gallon. On average I am paying about $1000 for a round trip. 2 trips per week means a monthly fuel bill of $8000. So a couple 2 or 3 MPG's better could save me a lot of $$$.

Does anyone have experience towing heavy weights and cranking up their power? I'm thinking of getting a chip with the DPF delete, getting rid of the DPF and CAT, and possibly an intake. What are the best products to go with for chips, complete exhaust, and intake? Whats my best option?
I have a 550 that i pull a 30 foot trailer with that is loaded to gcw of 38 to 40,000 lbs. I am running a flashpaq ,home made hydrogen system and amsoil in the motor and trany. I was at 4/5 mpgs loaded and 9/10.5 mpgs unloaded before mods. I am now at 7/8 loaded and 13/14 unloaded with the 4:30 gears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hydrogen system? Are you making your own from electrolosis on the truck? or do you have a holding system?

Where do you plumb your hydrogen in at?

Up most interested in your process

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel your fuel bill pain.
Anyone working a truck with delete mods please chime in on fuel economy #s
I bought my 550 to transplant a common rail 5.9 in, but if the delete/tune mod is good on fuel then hell yeah.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the spartan chips have a selectable power level? And is it selectable on the go?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Do the spartan chips have a selectable power level? And is it selectable on the go?
I believe it is a flash device. So, no changing on the fly, but there are several tunes to flash. Someone will comment on the power levels for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. I'm wondering if I will have problems if I go to a high power level. I've heard they have 75 hp / 150 hp / 200 hp tunes. Could the 75 or 150 start to do some damage to my drivetrain in the long run when I'm pulling 26000 pounds? I'm pretty sure the 200 would. Has anyone done a fair bit of driving with heavy weights and with a chip?

·
Registered
181 Posts
your best bet would be to get some gauges and test it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You should talk to Richard (richardndawnc) about this. He's runnin the dpf delete and tow tune from KEM and tows like 25000lbs daily as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hydrogen system? Are you making your own from electrolosis on the truck? or do you have a holding system?

Where do you plumb your hydrogen in at?

Up most interested in your process
I took out the stupid filter minder and stuck the tube right in the. Still testing it out not totally beleaver yet, but up from 10 to 14 unloaded somehow. I am going to post when i know for sure. Im not storing it gust making it as i go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I get my programmer, do I need to get the EGT Probes with it? I noticed most of the Spartan kits come with EGT Probes. I thought this truck has 3 EGT Probes in it from the factory.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You should talk to Richard (richardndawnc) about this. He's runnin the dpf delete and tow tune from KEM and tows like 25000lbs daily as well.
Im not so sure I'd talk to Richard at this point as he's quite unhappy about his 6.4. It appears he's beginning to have some major problems. I caught a recent post of his:

I am at 92,000 miles on mine and it will not even climb the slope to get into the garage, a $61,000 po$ 1000% ,rad has also been leaking ,but never at the dealer as well -- huuummm but loses 2 gallon a week and I have the same green stain on the lower support as you do. I have given up on Ford and plan to just put an engine in the truck that has proven to me that it runs for many miles - I bought a wrecked 02 2500 Dodge with a 24V and a 6 Speed last week and it will be a rattling ,smoking and running 08 Ford when done.
Here is the full thread: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...ore-reasons-ford-can-eat-my-2.html#post541988

Sounds to me like he might of pushed his 6.4 a bit too far on the tunes or something maybe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im not so sure I'd talk to Richard at this point as he's quite unhappy about his 6.4. It appears he's beginning to have some major problems. I caught a recent post of his:

Here is the full thread: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...ore-reasons-ford-can-eat-my-2.html#post541988

Sounds to me like he might of pushed his 6.4 a bit too far on the tunes or something maybe.
Looks like I was on the right track with the 5.9 to start with. anyone want to buy a detuned 6.4 ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts