Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the MLK weekend, we decided to rip it up at the Imperial Sand Dunes (ISDRA), so I got a wild hair and wanted to see how my truck would do with the new goodies on my Aggressive Tow tune pulling my 12k lb trailer. Long story short-I was VERY pleased. For this trip, the gross of my truck and trailer was roughly 18k lbs, it was about 75* ambient temperature and while there are only 2 "real" hills (Mohawk mountain and Gila mountains) between Phoenix and ISDRA, it handled them both quite well. :nod: I won't post the whole datalog, but below are my average and peak readings.

Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 175*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1200*; 1350* peak
EOT's were 216*; 239* peak
ECT's were 209*; 225* peak
ICP was 2141psi; 4061psi peak

Peak temps were recorded pulling the 2 mile 6% grade through the Gila mountains with the pedal to the floor. It didn't help that I was passing a similarly equipped 03 F-250 with about the same size trailer with Banks stickers plastered all over it. It was priceless to see his face as I cruised passed him... I can only imagine his complaint to his Bank's dealer when he got back home!!!:D When I crested the hill, I was down to 62mph, which is about a 10mph increase over my stock turbo setup! :thumb:

I believe that despite running a hotter tune (which hasn't been tweaked for my new turbo), my BPD oil cooler worked EXTREMELY well at keeping the temps in check as did my new turbo. I would imagine that if I got my aggressive tow tune tweaked to match the new airflow, I could improve the EGT's while cruising and perhaps keep the oil a touch cooler.:nod: I guess I could always run my "standard" tow tune which runs cooler temps yet, but what fun is that? :dunno:

·
Don't mind me
27,522 Posts
Good info Shawn. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good stuff. Now load a race tune next time. My truck tows 10k best in a race tune :hehe:
HOLY CRAP! I can only imagine what your oil temps are when pulling that kind of load!!! Do you datalog?

My tranny shifts WAY too soon in my race tune to pull any kind of load. I once pulled my trailer home with the race tune in (left my SCT at the house) and HATED the shifting. I am very particular when it comes to the truck shifting correctly. :nod:

·
Premium Member
13,246 Posts
HOLY CRAP! I can only imagine what your oil temps are when pulling that kind of load!!! Do you datalog?

My tranny shifts WAY too soon in my race tune to pull any kind of load. I once pulled my trailer home with the race tune in (left my SCT at the house) and HATED the shifting. I am very particular when it comes to the truck shifting correctly. :nod:
It was only for 20 miles. The temps were fine. The only thing I dont like about towing in the race tunes is the converter lockup. Once it locks it will stay locked until the truck goes below 45mph. I just have gotten used to tapping the brake before I go up a hill.

I towed 5k from Boston to Birmingham in my X-street tune and didnt have one single problem :thumb: EOT/ECT/EGT were slightly above normal, but I expected that since it was mid summer. Trans never got over 175.

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, makes sense. When I tow, it is usually for hours at a time because I'm running away from reality! :D The trip to the dunes is usually a 5 hour trip to get there depending on traffic.

·
Don't mind me
27,522 Posts
I don't even like towing my trailer a couple blocks in race tune.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Im assuming you guys are running the on the fly type programmers such as the CS CTS kind? I am about to get my ordered and my only real concern is does the tow tunes disable the Tow Haul mode the truck comes with?

I have really grown to like that system with the auto downshifts its does and such.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I've towed some very small trailers with my X-Street tune in, but when I load the big daddy gooseneck (weighs about 12k loaded) I usually swap back to stock. I am ordering an Aggressive Tow Tune though when I start hauling again.

And to the OP, that setup sounds awesome!! Once you get your tune tweaked it will probably be a whole 'nother beast. I want a PowerMax and some 155's so bad!! I hate 10 MPG when towing. :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Im assuming you guys are running the on the fly type programmers such as the CS CTS kind? I am about to get my ordered and my only real concern is does the tow tunes disable the Tow Haul mode the truck comes with?

I have really grown to like that system with the auto downshifts its does and such.
Nope, SCT w/ custom tunes. It's the only way to go for a 6.0.

And the Tow/Haul is a great feature, and it's to be used in conjunction with a tow tune. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Yea im actually getting my Gryphon reflased by Bill at PHP who did it originally for my F150.

Glad to hear the tow/haul still works in the truck i love that system.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
I tow 9-10k in Xstreet and SRL all the time. Temps stay great. About the only bad thing about it is I get the bird from people behind me for smoking em out climbing 10 mile hill on occasion:hehe:

I dont recommend doing this to anyone. I know what can happen

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Evil Eye,.... How was pulling from a dead stop with that kind of weight? (turbo lag, smoke)

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I tow 9-10k in Xstreet and SRL all the time. Temps stay great. About the only bad thing about it is I get the bird from people behind me for smoking em out climbing 10 mile hill on occasion:hehe:

I dont recommend doing this to anyone. I know what can happen
:hehe: My truck smokes like crazy with any throttle above 60 MPH. On the XStreet tune.

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Nope, custom tunes on the SCT. :thumb:
I've towed some very small trailers with my X-Street tune in, but when I load the big daddy gooseneck (weighs about 12k loaded) I usually swap back to stock. I am ordering an Aggressive Tow Tune though when I start hauling again.

And to the OP, that setup sounds awesome!! Once you get your tune tweaked it will probably be a whole 'nother beast. I want a PowerMax and some 155's so bad!! I hate 10 MPG when towing. :doh:
It might be a touch too warm to use when the temps get up to about 110* like they do here in summer. I'll just have to wait and see. My stock injectors would easily get to 1400* on that same hill with the agressive tow tune. It sucks doing 35mph up that hill just to keep your EGT's in check. :doh:
Evil Eye,.... How was pulling from a dead stop with that kind of weight? (turbo lag, smoke)
It was a little laggy and of course a touch smokey until the turbo lit, but about comparable to my original tow tune with the stock turbo. The lag gave the torque converter time to lock up, so it worked out just perfectly. Once it lit, it cleaned up the smoke perfectly and kept those EGT's in check. I couldn't imagine going to a higher volume injector for folks who tow heavy, although I still need to get my tunes tweaked for the new turbo.

I will say this - this is the PERFECT turbo for towing and was an excellent Christmas gift from my wife! :D

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got some updated tunes from Matt @ Gearhead just before the trip in order to match up to the airflow of the PowerMax turbo. I called him at the last minute and not only did he take care of me, but he sent me tunes within the hour. Because I dropped the ball and called him last minute and he agreed to take care of me, I made sure to take care of him as well. ;) I am VERY HAPPY with my current setup. It was good before and now it is GREAT!

BEFORE (DJ Aggressive Tow)
GCVW=18k lbs
Ambient air temp=75*
Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 175*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1200*; 1350* peak
EOT's were 216*; 239* peak
ECT's were 209*; 225* peak
ICP was 2141psi; 4061psi peak

AFTER (Gearhead 8k Tow)
GCVW=20k lbs
Ambient air temp=65*
Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 165*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1050*; 1300* peak
EOT's were 202*; 225* peak
ECT's were 203*; 223* peak
ICP was 1621psi; 4041psi peak

Simple comparison of the before to after, the truck seems to come alive right away. The turbo spools MUCH quicker and it feels like it has more power. I was 2k heavier than before and still had about the same top speed at the top of the hill in Yuma. Not only does it feel like it has more power, it doesn't seem to have to work as hard to maintain the power (look at my average ICP and you can see evidence of that). Another thing is that the shifting was PERFECT! I am a stickler for that since I spent quite a bit of time working with DJ to get my shifting just right on my old setup. It was awesome that Matt was able to nail it the first time right out of the box. I was a bit concerned that the 8k would run too hot for me (and it will be when we hit summertime temps) but it was perfect for the wintertime towing duty to the sand dunes.

If someone is considering running custom tunes with this setup, Matt @ Gearhead should be at the top of your list. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Glad to hear you like Matts tunes Shawn:thumb:

They have winter in Arizona?:rofl:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts

Dave, I think it is called summer in the rest of the country! :thumb:

Looks like things are working pretty well Shawn. You might be surprised with a set of 155's though.

·
Premium Member
19,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

What's funny is that both you and Mitch both told me that I should call Matt and I just kept putting it off. :doh: Wish I would have listened sooner... It's like a totally different truck and I can't wait to run my SRL+ next week:thumb:
Dave, I think it is called summer in the rest of the country! :thumb:

Looks like things are working pretty well Shawn. You might be surprised with a set of 155's though.
:hehe: LMAO! I actually had to wear a jacket the other day cause it was in the 60's... :doh: I might consider going to 155's if I hadn't just had my injectors replaced by BulletProof about 10k miles ago with stock remans. Are you running 155's?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts