Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just noticed it tonight but my switch is stuck on defrosed but i can turn the switch but will not change positions. Is there a fuse that might be burnt out and not letting it change? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
the switch has prolly gone bad.........

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know about in the 02s, but the 99s run off a vacuum pump. I would start by checking your fuses.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
You may very well have a vacuum leak somewhere, If you have the auto lock hubs they are usually where the leak is

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Check that fuse if thats not blown you most likely have a vac leak

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do i do if i have a a vac leak. Could my switch be out if so what does it look like

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
check your fuse AND relay first. thats all that was wrong with mine

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer for same problem (warranty Repair).

Here is what the tech wrote on the repair:
....Inspect air distribution system repair vacum leak in line to heater control valve. Run system , vacum pump blows fuse from overheating due to constant running. Replace pump and Fuse. Air works fine except when 4x4 used defaults to defrost again, replace 4x4 vacum selenoid.

To check to see if Your 4x4 is engaging put the switch to 4x4 and drive the truck enough to see if 4x4 engaged. If you have a leak, you may still have enough vacum to engage 4x4, because mine did. But, the A/C would default to the defrost when you engaged 4x4. If your not blowing fuses or 4x4 does not engage I would say leak in line and or 4x4 vacum selenoid.

Sometimes I miss my manuel hubs and transfer case shifter on the floor I had in my '95.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would cause a vacum leak. How much did it set you back to get it fixed at the dealership?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well it was the dealers third shot to fix this problem, all under warranty so it did not cost me anything, can't help there. The dealer didn't even show the cost of parts they replaced under warranty.

Since I didn't try to fix myself I can't give ya first hand mechanical knowledge on this one.

There is one fuse and one circut breaker that was replaced, I'll check the owners manel and see if I can figure which fuses. On mine the Blower worked fine so it is not any of the fuses/ breakers for the blower. A leak in the vacum line to my heater control valve started all of my problems as I understand it. And not all Super Duties have a heater control valve (located on upper heater hose).

A pinhole in any vacum line will cause a leak. As I understand it the most common are the lines to your hubs.

Maybe one of the Techs on here will answer up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts