Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys are really supportive when it comes to family stuff. My mother was recently nominated by her principal for a Heart of Education award here in Nevada. This is kind of long so if you want to skip and just vote feel free but this is just a small description of who my Mom is and why she deserves this award.

She has been teaching for 31 years and this is her first time being nominated. I feel like if anyone is deserving of this it is her or my father but she was nominated.

She and my father team teach at an at risk school here in Las Vegas . Nevada to start is ranked last in the nation for child development in schools. for where families in a lot of areas of town aren't well off to begin with and a lot of the parents cant help the children do homework because they aren't home because of work, don't speak English or just don't care enough to help.

My mom devotes her time before and after school to tutoring these students on her own time, helps with a program called Three Square which makes sure these families who are truly in need have meals on the table at night, and is also part of a zoom program where teachers give up 2 weeks of their summer vacation to teach a preset curriculum to hopefully bring up the scores of Nevada's students .

On her weekends she spends time grading papers, writing lesson plans, or out shopping for items on sale to put in their school store. Which may not seem like a lot to most but the time that she spends organizing her own store so students can actually afford to buy small items to give their families for Christmas is a big deal.

I'm sure most of you remember when we were kids these companies would come in and provide a school with items in a Christmas Store, however this came at a premium. A #1 DAD or MOM mug and a lucky rabbits foot would cost a kid $30. That's not something these kids have and my mom makes it a priority to gather items throughout the year that are actually good gifts to give to a sister or brother who normally gets nothing on the 25th. I have helped her out and volunteered working in the store and the excitement on the kids faces when they see what they can buy their family for $5-10 dollars is really something most take for granted. She isn't paid for her time doing all of this.

My mom has been eligible for retirement for a couple of years now but continues to go back because she truly is one of those teachers who cares. This is why I think she should win this award.

If you guys would take the time to do this it would be greatly appreciated. lets give this teacher something shes deserved for a long time coming.

Her name is Rhonda Lamboo and you can vote in the link below. Just register and vote for her. Only takes a couple minutes of your time.

Las Vegas Review-Journal | Heart of Education RJ People's

·
Super Moderator
19,197 Posts
Done! Schools need more teachers like your Mom!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. She is quite an amazing teacher. She raised 3 great kids( in my biased opinion) and continues to instill those same values into kids who's parents could care less at home.

I was lucky to come from a good family and a good education and my mom is just trying to give her students an opportunity for the same. The school system is definitely way way different from when I was a child.

·
california deplorable
10,238 Posts
I had so few teachers etc that even pretended to give a half a crap. it was disgusting.

if it weren't for our local and school libraries i would have learned pretty much nothing after about 4th grade... :doh:
at least until i went to college :nod:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea Its no wonder we are so short on teachers here in Nevada. Ive heard from her and other teachers I know there are classes that are staffed year round by substitutes. Which obviously is terrible for the students. There may be some good sub teachers who are in school to become teachers but for most of them its probably just a job and without a written lesson plan what are these kids really being taught?! I remember what class days we had subs were like.

·
Anti-Hashtag Member
2,150 Posts
Done, Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
That's a great read - thank you for sharing. I registered and voted for her!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done, Good luck!

That's a great read - thank you for sharing. I registered and voted for her!!!!!!! :)
Thank you guys. I am really looking forward to attending the award ceremony on the 7th. Regardless of who wins they are all well deserved but I know this would just be the topping on the cake for the years of service my mom has put into teaching.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
We can tell how proud you deservedly are of her and I can tell she and your father raised a great guy. I hope she gets it!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the PMs , responses and support on here guys. You guys really are a group of great people.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today is the last day to vote. If you guys could spread the word that would be great!! Ill keep you guys updated on the final results.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,381 Posts
Done. BUMP

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done. BUMP
Thanks alot!.

My mom cried when I told her about all the support you guys have pushed her way. This whole voting thing is pretty lopsided. The chances seem alot greater of winning for a high school teacher with 6 classes of 20-30 against a 2nd grade at risk teacher whose students don't have computers at home let alone an email to vote from.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Voted! hope im not too late. Goodluck

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,381 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. Voting closed at midnight. She will find out on May 7th they are having a big awards banquet at the Smith Center here in Las Vegas for all the teachers nominated. I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well crap, I just found this thread this morning, too late. :(

But I'll say your mom sounds like an awesome person, let alone teacher. It takes a very special type person to have the patience and resolve to deal with kids, and at risk kids to boot. She must have the heart of a Saint. From what you've written, I can see she genuinely cares, and I can only imagine the amount of lives she's changed for it.

Tell your mom "Good Luck", as you can see from the responses, we're all pulling for her. It's good to read about people out making a positive difference, instead of what the news peddles anymore.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well crap, I just found this thread this morning, too late. :(

But I'll say your mom sounds like an awesome person, let alone teacher. It takes a very special type person to have the patience and resolve to deal with kids, and at risk kids to boot. She must have the heart of a Saint. From what you've written, I can see she genuinely cares, and I can only imagine the amount of lives she's changed for it.

Tell your mom "Good Luck", as you can see from the responses, we're all pulling for her. It's good to read about people out making a positive difference, instead of what the news peddles anymore.

No worries! I did what I could to help out and you guys have been tremendous with the support you have put forward. She is a pretty wonderful woman and does alot to help in and out of the classrooms.

Shes the type of teacher who collects books to give to friends of mines kids to read at home. One of my coworkers actually text me this morning and told me her son reads the books she gave every night.

I will keep you guys updated on the results. Its nice that she and my dad get to go to a nice banquet at the smith center and are being recognized and honored at the event for the work they do. Its an invitation only event, they will have a red carpet, get goodie bags, fine music and entertainment. .

I really hope at least she is awarded a heart of education trophy as 20 of the teachers will be awarded these. Each winners school will also be awarded $1,000 to be used for a program selected by the nominated teacher.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
MAY 7th?!?!?!!? Do these people know I have NO patients?!?!?! I must know NOW!!!!! I hate Christmas gifts. It's Santa's way of torturing me for weeks! :surprise:

·
california deplorable
10,238 Posts
Thanks alot!.

My mom cried when I told her about all the support you guys have pushed her way. This whole voting thing is pretty lopsided. The chances seem alot greater of winning for a high school teacher with 6 classes of 20-30 against a 2nd grade at risk teacher whose students don't have computers at home let alone an email to vote from.
thanks to your mom :thumb:
I know i actually WANTED to learn in school and was VERY disappointed when it became clear that my teachers had no desire to assist me in my quest, and that i was in fact rather on my own.
in first grade i knew there was trouble on the horizon when my teacher asked if any of us knew how to read yet. I said yes and she asked what books we had read.
well my first book I read my self was the hobbit...
but when I told her so, she told me i was a liar :doh:

excitement over schooling, over...first freakin grade :(

back to fighting with my sister over the encyclopedia britanica
by the time i hit high school...i had given up

MAY 7th?!?!?!!? Do these people know I have NO patients?!?!?! I must know NOW!!!!! I hate Christmas gifts. It's Santa's way of torturing me for weeks! :surprise:
easy there buddy...its not THAT far off :hehe:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts