Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heads rusted out causing exhaust leaks on my 2003 F350 7.3. I pulled the engine and installed new Ford heads and a number of other parts while the engine was out including the IPR & IPC (Motorcraft). I put the original injectors back in, but put new Alliant O-Rings on them. I didn't touch the HPOP. The truck ran great before I took it apart except for the exhaust leak and only has 80,000 miles on it. I was expecting a long crank time to get all of the air out, but I've been cranking a while now. I have Torque pro setup on an Android tablet and I'm only getting max of 220 PSI of HP oil.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would pull a valve cover and crank it, see if oil is spraying out of the injector oil deflectors. You could pull the glow plugs and crank it, that way it will spin over quickly and build oil pressure faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would pull a valve cover and crank it, see if oil is spraying out of the injector oil deflectors. You could pull the glow plugs and crank it, that way it will spin over quickly and build oil pressure faster

Ok, i'll check that tomorrow when I can get a volunteer to hit the key while I'm watching. If it is this symptom, what does that indicate the problem is?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dug through my hydraulic stock and bodged up a pressure gauge on the high pressure oil port in the head and this confirms the low pressure.

Is it an effective test on a 7.3 to pressurize the HP Oil port with shop air and listen for leaks? I've heard 6.0 people doing this, but not 7.3 people.

I still need to try the simple test of just swapping out the IPR with my old one, I guess the new IPR could be defective? When I pull the IPR, won't the HPOP reservoir dump into the valley? I just hate to flood my nice clean valley with oil. I want to try to keep the valley clean so if/when something leaks, I can see what's leaking. It's also not easy to get my big mits down there to change it. That's exactly why I put a new Motorcraft IPR on while I had it apart.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran a quick test at lunch and when I pressurize the HP Oil port with Compressed Air, I hear a leak internal to the engine. Have no idea yet where it's leaking from, no time now. What is the likely suspect with this situation?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some more testing. When I pressurize the HP oil port The passenger side is sealed, but the drivers side is leaking, I can't localize it, but nothing seems to be going to the water jacket, intake, exhaust or comming out top around the injectors. The head seems to be leaking internally somewhere I can't see. Any ideas?

Here is a video showing the issue.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That is odd, I would suspect a cracked head, but I could be wrong. After all, the heads are really the only variable here. Hopefully someone else chimes in

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Sounds like the middle oring on one of the injectors is not sealing or injector cup is damaged.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the middle oring on one of the injectors is not sealing or injector cup is damaged.
I just pulled all 4 injectors and checked the orings and reseated them. No effect. I'm thinking it's a cracked head, but this is a motorcraft head I'd like to think they tested for cracks. I think I'm going to swap the injectors to the other head to see if the problem moves. Getting desperate. :dunno::frown2:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not sure if this is progress, but I swapped the left bank to the right bank and vis versa, now both sides are leaking! Is this Air test I'm doing even valid?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get some motorcraft o-rings and try that. The alliant o-rings are the outlier here.
The O-Rings sure seem like the likely suspect. I just ordered Motorcraft o rings from Tasca parts, but the injectors are alliant, alliant is the OEM. regardless of the brand I think it's worth swapping them out, even though they seem fine.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
You could try the orings one at a time for fit in the injector bore, should be some "feel" at the injector is placed in the bore. Using one injector with only one ring in place -- to help figure which ring is not holding

Could also measure the injector groove diameter to see is there is a variation and the thickness of a few of the rings.

Really never have a problem with orings unless one is cut or the wrong size. With new heads I would suspect a sharp edge on one of the bores, removing the sliver of one of the rings, a close inspection would be in order to keep from repeating.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The O-Rings sure seem like the likely suspect. I just ordered Motorcraft o rings from Tasca parts, but the injectors are alliant, alliant is the OEM. regardless of the brand I think it's worth swapping them out, even though they seem fine.
I've learned my lesson with a non Motorcraft oil cooler and oil cooler orings on my 7.3. I didn't know that Alliant is OEM.

I typed it earlier but deleted it, but what I was gonna say is button it up and soak a rag in gas and wrap it around the air filter and fire it off. That will get a 7.3 with a HPO leak fired up most of the time.

It's one of those things that you do at your own risk though. And most will recommend not doing things like this just like most wont recommend starting fluid. You decide.

Obviously wont solve a HPO leak though, just get you started when you're in a bind.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm chasing a problem based on the clue that pressurizing the HP oil port with shop air I hear air leaking. Does anyone know for sure that this is even a valid test? It seems to me that this system should be air tight, but I'm guessing.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found the problem! It was electrical! I reversed the EBP and IPR wires, they are both 2 pin and take the have the same plug. I found it by hot wiring the IPR valve as I learned from a Diesel Tech Ron video and all of the sudden I had plenty of pressure. Obviously my test of pressurizing the HP Oil port with air is not a valid test.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem appears to be solved, the root cause for sure was the wiring issue I mentioned. My mistake of course. This pressure test still is bugging me though. I still want to know where the leak is. Perhaps there is a drain port in the head that is a designed leak? Or perhaps I have still have a problem. The truck is still half apart and I'm trying to decide if I should put it back together or keep chasing this potential problem. Does anyone know how this head is ported? Could here be a plug that was missed or is there a drain port? If the problem in the injector o-rings, then the oil would either come up into the head, or down into the fuel correct? I haven't really checked my fuel yet. The truck does run with little if any smoke and runs decent, but it does take more cranking to start it than I remember in the past.

One more item of concern. In all of the confusion I mixed up the injectors. One of the injectors is marked LL which I learned from another Diesel Tech Ron video means Long Lead, but I don't know what this means to me. What is long about the long lead and can this be part of the problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Because the firing order has #8 firing immediately after #6 (located next to each other) causes a bit of starvation that the LL injector (#8) solves.

Could that hiss be coming from air passing into the HPOP reservoir overflow tube and into the crankcase?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because the firing order has #8 firing immediately after #6 (located next to each other) causes a bit of starvation that the LL injector (#8) solves.

Could that hiss be coming from air passing into the HPOP reservoir overflow tube and into the crankcase?
Yes NoRalPh, I just spoke with Clay from RiffRaff diesel and he told me that unless I command the IPR closed or plug it, that the air will back feed through the pump. I'm convinced this is the issue and that it's no issue. I can put the rest of the truck back together now with confidence.

Thanks All!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts