Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone no of a good company to have the heads resurfaced.(if there not cracked) it all went to hell this morning. towing 9000lb excavator, over headed it, coolant every where, hour and a half from home. great day! :why-me:

Or a place to find a new set for as cheap ($ wise) as possible. and whats the diff. between fords gaskets and the black onyx, or black diamond???

Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
As for the gaskets, keep using the OEM. They have a lower failure rate under ARP studs then the Black Onyx, and I haven't heard anything about Black Diamond.

Can't help ya on the machine shop, even new heads coming from Ford should be checked flat before install.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you suggest where to get oem gaskets and heads, just trying to get my ducks in a row. And is there any way to tell if i have 18 or 20 mm dows, before i pull the heads. this will be the second set of gaskets, cant remeber what they were before. but she was studded the last time with A-1 studs, so i guess some of the cost is already shelled out.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if the headeds are cracked this will be the second set of thoses as well. I love my 6.0L, but let me tell ya how much im loving it right now. LOL (not really lol)

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I get them from the local dealership, you may also try Trosley Ford, search the forums here for their contact info.

Also, check with A1 to see if they recommend reusing thier studs (I would get a new set of ARP's if I was I was you).

As for the 18mm vs 20mm dowels, check the truck build date. They made the switch to commenized parts late Jan-'06. My Write-Up on Bullet-proofing has a lot of that information.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

It sounds like either this job wasn't done right the first time, or you had a major mechanical failure under load. Were you running a tune when you overheated?

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i was running a tune, thats what did it. It was my own stupidity! i no, we'll just leave that one alone. i bet i wont run that tune and tow again ever.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do u think the studs streched, Why do u say get a new set?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts