Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night I was driving and my headlights kept flickering on and off. Eventually they stopped and were fine. I went out tonight, and my headlights aren't working at all. The high beams only half work, if I push the level forward, as if to keep the high beams on, nothing works, no lights, no high beams and the high beam light wont illuminate on the dash. However, if I pull the lever towards me (where it doesn't stay if you don't hold it) the high beams will come on and the light will illuminate. Before I just got spend 50 bucks on headlights, does it sound like they're out? It seems odd that the lights would be out but the high beams work.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Well the high beam in your stock lights is a secondary filament inside the bulb, when you pull it to you it actually activates both filaments, and when you push forward its only the secondary, so it does not sound like anything is wrong with the bulbs at all, you should try replacing the switch, or if you have a test light get out there and see if your even getting voltage to the lights, you could also check the fuses for your head lamps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I checked all my fuses and those were good. I used the test light and wasn't getting much. So I went to replace the switch. I got in there and pulled out the wire harness but I touched part of something and it was super hot, to the point where I dropped it and pulled my hand away. After looking around, I found this on the harness connector. I'm skeptic whether or not I should plug it back into the new light switch, A) because I dont want to break the new one but also B) It looks like it could be a fire hazard. I tried peeking into the dash to see what it connected to, but not luck. Is there an easy way to change it or would I have to just splice all the wires?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Is that the harness that goes into the switch?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4 good buddy. I have no way of knowing if it was always like that or if it just happened though, I mean obviously it isnt SUPPOSE to be like that, just dont know if its the problem

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Btw disconnect the batteries next time you do electrical, and you can get a new harness and just pull the plugs out of that one and insert in the new one. Or just splice the wires

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, Id prefer to avoid any splicing of factory wires if it can be avoided. And I was originally going to disconnect the batteries but figured I was only changing a switch :doh: and so you can pull the wires. It looked like you could but I just couldnt get any of the buggers out and I didnt want to break any.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Use your light tester poke it in there and pry it down and should pull out the back of it. Splicing is pretty easy tho, if you do it than make sure you saudder it and use heat shrink.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to the junkyard and picked one out (and a couple other small things I needed). I love that place, it seems like a 1/3 of what he has are OBS Fords. Very rarely do I go in there and come out disappointed. Anyway, I put all the new wires in, save the two in the picture because the plastic melted around them and they refused to come out. AS you can see in the picture, the culprit was this wire that was exposed, probably touching the plastic and heating it up and cracked and bubbled it. I'm not sure in the end how it stopped my headlights from working because it was still making a connection. Problem solved, I did end up just buying a new headlight switch also even though I'm pretty sure the old one works just fine. If anyone wants it, they can have it, just pay for shipping.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and was able to hit the yard to get it.

My wife says you have small hands lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad I got it fixed too, I had to drive home last night via the orange aura my truck produces. And small hands ehh? Well they're not large, thats for sure. They're not not tiny though, but compared to most guys hands, yeah mine are on the smaller side. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts