Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my clearance lights and headlights are flickering when I idle. It has a Napa
alternator that is about 1 year old. Truck runs good and everything else seems OK but just wondering if this is a sign of bad news to come...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im having the same problem with my 03. head lights interior lights and dash lights. Also have the NAPA alternator. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
What kind of voltage are you guys seeing?
Check voltage and amperage if you can.
Ford specs are:[email protected] amps/2000rpm,s [email protected] amps
I would check all the cables, the battery posts,the connection on the alternator. Clean all the battery posts and put some wheel brg grease on them to help stop oxidation. Also follow alt wire to fuse box in engine compartment and make sure all is clean there.

One thing to keep in mind: low power will wreck your ficm in a hurry it is very important to keep the electrical system up to snuff to keep problems at bay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
spiking 15.1 volts at 2000rpm going down the road I am going to replace the interstate batteries with a matched pair of 65-cp continentals and see what happens

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
If you are in the 15 volt range that alternator has regulator issues for sure, I am assuming at lower rpm,s it's falling on it's face. Not so sure it's a battery issue, you can load test them to make sure, what is the voltage at ideling? and @ 2000 rpm ? ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts