Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Headlight Draw with key on

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Hydro 
#1 ·
So, I have a '95 gasser (I assume same'ish body/wires as diesel). I'm on this site because I also have a Powerstroke. ha-ha.

Dilemma: 1995 w/ 360 in it, has a power draw and glow to the headlights when the key is on (switch off). Where can I begin looking to solve this issue? Thanks in advance...

Reactions: ZMANN
#3 ·
#7 ·
Seems like headlight switch would be #1
have you messed with diagnostics on this at all yet ?
Thank you! I will look at the Switch. What would I be looking for short of just throwing a new Switch at it? And what did you mean by messing with the diagnostics yet?

Reactions: White95f250
#5 ·
Here is some info for you (1996 should be the same as 1995. My 1995 e-version of the EVTM no longer functions). As ZMANN suggested, I would look at the Main Light Switch and maybe the Multi-Function Switch. Cheers!

Attachments

#6 ·
I appreciate the info. Thanks i will look as attachment when I get a chance in a few days.

#9 ·
Sure he does not have DRL ?

#10 ·
Exactly what a buddy was thinking. Was that a thing back then and I had only seen it(with limited experience) in separate lights...

#13 ·
There goes that theory...haha. damn!!

Reactions: ZMANN
#15 ·
Only the 94-97 Canadian trucks came with DRLs. The US trucks can be converted to have DRLs by removing the "jumper plug" in the harness (behind front bumper on driver's side on the core support) and plugging in a DRL module (used on all kinds of Fords ... I got one for $15 used). I did this on my 94. I wanted to do the same on my 97, but for some reason it does not have the jumper plug or its connector in the harness (it is a Cali 97 for what it's worth). Cheers!

#16 ·
Good info to know. Any chance you could send a picture of yours so I know what to look for? And if it is set up for DRL is that through the factory headlights? ( I have only ever seen them as an additional set of lights down below). Thanks for the assistance.

#17 ·
Cody, sorry I don't have any pics of the module or plug (I sold the truck many years ago). The DRL's use the highbeams at reduced power (I forget what percentage). The jumper plug is oval-shaped (about 1.25 inches by 0.5625 inches), 8-pin (2 rows of 4 pins). Not sure if you can see it just by removing the grill. Cheers!

#18 ·
Outstanding. Thanks. I'm guessing this isn't the case, but it's an easy check maybe. Any other thought on the dim light with switch off, key on? Honestly, I looked over the schematics you sent, looks like swahili to me... ha

#20 ·
Roger, hopefully get to that today and will report back.

#21 ·
So, if it is a manual switch - pop the connectors off and see if the lights are still on
should let you know if the problem is in the main switch or the multifunction

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.