Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done this? I've read this can help with turbo spool up. Wondering if its worth it and if it actually works

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If its stainless steel than no. No need for coat or wrap.

If its steel then coat and wrap it. Stainless holds temps down and has velocity.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If its stainless steel than no. No need for coat or wrap.

If its steel then coat and wrap it. Stainless holds temps down and has velocity.
If your talking about stock up pipes than coat them and wrap them
Make up your mind. The stock pipes are stainless steel.

Mint, my new stainless Y/up pipes are currently at the coater getting ceramic coated, they will not be getting wrapped. Doing both would probably be more effective but wrap holds moisture that will deteriorate the pipes sooner. Not as much concern with stainless but something to think about. I am not wrapping do to limited clearance with my 4" down pipe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you think it will make a noticeable difference in the truck? Ive seen this mentioned several times on different forums recently and am wondering how much difference it makes. is it worth pulling them off to do it or is something you would do if they were off aleady?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I did not notice a difference when I wrapped my stock up-pipes so IMO if you are looking for some seat of the pants difference you wont find it and I couldnt even tell my turbo spooled any faster either. Just what I noticed is all.

I know wraps hold in moisture but wouldn't it not even matter if that is the case if you have the pipes ceramic coated and then had wraps applied?? Just curious is all.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
My factory y-pipe is wrapped has been on the truck for 6 years at least. It looks great and has been holding up just fine. I actually soaked the wrap in a water/glue mixture. When it dries it hardens super tight right to the pipe and will never come off unless you take a grinder to it. It's actually better to wetten the wrap when you wrap stuff. This way you can pull it stretches and you can pull it tighter....i know alot of guys that do it this way.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Make up your mind. The stock pipes are stainless steel.

Mint, my new stainless Y/up pipes are currently at the coater getting ceramic coated, they will not be getting wrapped. Doing both would probably be more effective but wrap holds moisture that will deteriorate the pipes sooner. Not as much concern with stainless but something to think about. I am not wrapping do to limited clearance with my 4" down pipe.
If a magnet sticks then it's not 100% stainless. And a magnet sticks to stock pipes.

A magnet does not stick to my new stainless pipes

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
A magnet will stick to 409 stainless steel but it wont stick to 304 stainless steel (like your shiny EGR delete up-pipe). A magnet is NOT a proven way to determine if you just have regular steel and stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
If a magnet sticks then it's not 100% stainless. And a magnet sticks to stock pipes.

A magnet does not stick to my new stainless pipes
The stock Y pipe and exhaust system are 409 SS which is magnetic.
Your new pipes are probably 304 SS which is non-magnetic and more corrosion resistant than 409, but 409 will withstand high temps better than 304.

·
Registered
565 Posts
yes if you read the directions on most wraps it tells you to soak the wrap for like 15 min and then wrap it as tight as you can.... Also wrapping also keeps the heat in and has been known to elevate EGT temps, makes the turbo happier bc heat and drive pressure drive a turbo but we all know what egts can do...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since I'm doing head studs on my truck . I sent my Exhaust manifolds and
Y-Pipe to Strokers Unlimited to get Ceramic coated black. I think its a good idea. :thumb:

Kyle will take care of you, great prices.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
yes if you read the directions on most wraps it tells you to soak the wrap for like 15 min and then wrap it as tight as you can.... Also wrapping also keeps the heat in and has been known to elevate EGT temps, makes the turbo happier bc heat and drive pressure drive a turbo but we all know what egts can do...
Wrapping the up-pipes will NOT raise EGTs. It may very well keep the pipes hotter and not allow them to cool down as quickly after seeing high EGTs but it will not increase EGTs. There are a lot of factors that play into EGTs but wrapped pipes is not one of these factors. Also I never noticed higher EGTs after I wrapped my up-pipes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A magnet will stick to some 304 and 304l stainless pieces. It's a hit and miss thing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
what about that lava wrap or whatever, the one that you can get it to wrap the turbo and such

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe the lava wrap stuff is the same Thing just rated or I higher temp since its made with crushed lava rock among other things . Someone correct me if I'm wrong

1 - 20 of 25 Posts