Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a used headache rack (not sure of the brand) and it has four wires (green, yellow, brown, and white) hanging out of the rack. The rack has four oval led red lights at the top of the rack and there is a trapezoidal opening cut so that the factory CHMSL (center-high mount stop lamp) on the truck is visible from the rear (I like this design. Does anyone recognize the brand?).

I've never really wired anything :dunno: and have no idea what I'm doing but would like to learn how to do this correctly. I can't seem to find the explanation or a simple idiot's guide.

Where should I wire into the truck. I've read that there is a place to splice into the trailer wiring, but I'm not sure where to find it (it is supposed to either be at the middle portion of the truck underneath or at the back bumper underneath: I got this information from the Ford Quick Lane employee at the dealership). I was hoping to get it installed correctly, clean, and professionally (like the dealership might do).

The above pic is of behind the spare tire near the back bumper underneath the truck...
:ford:Thanks for taking the time to read and help...

· Registered
79 Posts
The white wire is ground, brown is tail lights, yellow is left turn and green is right turn. That is just typical trailer wiring. You should either do soldered connections eith heat shrink tubing of crimp connectors with heat shrink tubing. Stay away from the scotch lock style connectors. They always fail.

It looks like it could be a Tumbleweed Manufacturing rack. They have a website too.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments gentlemen...I like the rack too. It's nice.

I ended up buying a T-connector that plugs in behind the 7 way trailer hitch. I wired a trailer plug to the headache rack wiring and plugged directly into the T-connector. Didn't have to cut the wiring on the truck. Works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.