Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my heads decked and now the thichness is 3.73 and the other is 3.72. Is it worth getting valves done or just get new heads. Is it even worth doing the clay test?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you have them magna-fluxed first to see if cracked at all before decking them ? You may have just threw some coin down the drain.

Valve job ?! Depends on how bad they are. If you need a number of seats and valves replaced, some valve guide work done along with the standard procedure of valve seals all around then I would just get new heads. Just put new heads on mine. I had 2 choices. $1300 in work to make them good or $2K for a pair of new ones..... which I had decked right out of the box too I might add. If you do go with new ones, CHECK EM and DECK EM if need be. Haven't seen 6.0 heads yet that were anywhere near flat out of the box.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Odessa Heads... Around $1300 for TWO new heads:nod:

And they pay for shipping the cores back to them!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Odessa Heads... Around $1300 for TWO new heads:nod:

And they pay for shipping the cores back to them!
I'll stick with OEM..... also I won't forget read somewhere, that they have no issues with sending out re-man heads with cracks in them ! They think it's not a problem. Not something I want to hear from a supplier as I know better........ apparently they don't ! Not good IMO.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Many people are happy with their products... haven't hear anything like what your saying!

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, I haven't heard any complaints about those heads either. But they are from China...... And from my research on them the valve seats are a little softer steel than OEM. I don't think they've been in anyone's truck long enough to get a true read on how good they really are. Time will tell. As unimpressed as I was with the heads I just took off my truck @ 190K miles, being completely shot and I mean COMPLETELY shot in every way possible, I can't imagine those Chinese heads would fair much worse after 190K.

Time will tell..........

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I don't know where you get your information from. Odessa cylinder head repairs the cracked heads and sends them out with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. They don't order new heads from china. And just so you know cracked cylinder heads have been being successfully repairs for many many years. It's a proven technology. One more thing they don't swap the valve seats unless it's needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts