Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 f350 and was wondering if I need to invest in head studs. Right now I'm using an SCT tuner and running the canned tunes. I'm looking to get a bigger tune. I have read on some forums that the 2010's don't seem to be having the same head gasket issue as the earlier models. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have afe cai, SCT tuner, and 5" exhaust. I want to get a custom tune, maybe the kem 345. Everyone seems to really like that one.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
2009 and 2010 trucks are much less prone for head gasket failure. However, that doesn't mean they won't fail. My personal opinion is that studs are always a good addition.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you seen or heard of very many head gasket failures with the higher power tunes? I know you are a Spartan rep (and that would have been my first choice but the truck came with the SCT) but who would you recommend for a custom tune?

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
lemme ask this, since the truck is fairly new couldnt the owner save a bunch of money and have the job done cab on?

·
Registered
87 Posts
lemme ask this, since the truck is fairly new couldnt the owner save a bunch of money and have the job done cab on?
Im not sure what the job would run cab on or if the owner would want to tackle that (I know it can be done and there is a write-up on here to do it) but, Im not sure why so many folks think that cab-off is a bad thing? It takes about 45 mins to get the cab completely off and begin work. These trucks are designed for the cab to be removed to make repairs, etc easier. I would rather take that oppurtunity to do other things that cab off makes easier...EGR delete, turbos, up pipes, etc.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
you make some good points. depends on whos doing it, their equipment and what they charge. im not necessarily opposing cab off installs.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Would be sweet to have own lift to get cab up and out off way, i don't think there are any good places to lift from with overhead crane...?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It may be "easy" to lift the cab off but last I heard it will cost you $1200-1500 to have a shop pull the cab off and put it back on. No to mention the cost and labor associated with the head studs.

But IMHO if you run anything over a 250hp tune I would do studs.

Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i have access to a lift, would yall do it your self if you could? i would def still wanna get the heads machined and all

·
Registered
833 Posts
Absolutely, if I had free access to a lift I would be all over doing it myself. I'll find someone one day that will let me borrow a bay in there shop lol

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Absolutely, if I had free access to a lift I would be all over doing it myself. I'll find someone one day that will let me borrow a bay in there shop lol

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
good deal, yea one of my buddies owns a shop and will let me use his lift. how would i go about getting the heads machined?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
ok, thanks. ill check it out. just wanted to know what all i needed to do

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I would say if you are going to do head studs and gaskets you might as well do it right and have the heads magnafluxed and decked.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i def agree i wanna do it once and do it right. any idea how much it would cost to have that done?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
maganafluxed checked and decked shouldnt cost more than a couple hundred at a cylinder head shop.

does anyone else have any views or opinions on getting the heads decked/machined?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Oh sorry yea my bad. I meant the whole job including doing the head gaskets and studs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts