Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Welp. I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I got the passenger head put together and set into place today. I have just the outside (non-stud) bolts in snug (not torqued) to keep it in place. I torqued in the glowplugs and was just setting the injectors when it dawned on me... I didn't put the 3 back studs in the head before setting it. So, now I get to pull it back out and do it over again.

What do you guys think regarding the gasket? Just those outside bolts snugged to keep in place. Am I OK still using it? My only thought is with the o-ring heads, is there a chance those have already impressed into the gasket? Ugh, stupid. The good news is after doing it once, I have more confidence and will be able to go faster the 2nd time.
You would probably be fine, but I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I tried to find the thread where I got it but can't right now. Before starting everything I tried finding parts listed and pics and torque sequence. At some point I found and copied the below sequence and had it in my notes to follow. Not sure if 3 steps would have been easier or not but either way that ship has sailed for me.

Tighten the head bolts in the following sequence.
Tighten bolts 1 through 10 to 65 lb-ft.
Tighten bolts 1 through 10 to 95 lb-ft.
Tighten bolts 1 through 10 to 135 lb-ft.
Tighten bolts 1 through 10 to 180 lb-ft.
Tighten bolts 1 through 10 to 210 lb-ft.
Tighten bolts 11 through 15 to 24 Nm (18 lb-ft).
Tighten bolts 11 through 15 to 31 Nm (23 lb-ft

I've been forum surfing trying to find someone with the same issue as me with the fuel line fitment. Not seeing anything. I was very careful but I'm wondering now if I bent the lines along the way somehow. So now my question is, am I safe bending them back into place.
Replace the passenger side or just make it fit. My passenger side got screwed up when I took the intake manifold off too. Maybe try rotating at the banjo bolt.

I don't think you can replace the driver's side without taking the head off, it's ridiculously tight there as you've seen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts