Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as some of you know about 2 weeks ago I finally brought my truck in to the dealership to get looked at as I could smell HOT antifreeze way to much while driving. Truck is an 05 6.0 with 50,000 miles... Anyway, I am expecting that they will be replacing the head gaskets, they call me after about 5 hours and tell me that it was a "faulty radiator cap" and that they replaced it and my truck is ready to go. So last Thursday I am driving home on the highway with my trailer behind me (5500 lbs) and I can smell the hot coolant again. I get home and there is coolant all over the drivers side of my truck and under the hood.. I call my dealership up and he says bring it back and we will look at it.. Now what are the odds that I would have two "faulty radiator caps" in 2 weeks??? Does this sound like a head gasket problem to anyone else?? Or anybody have any other ideas?? I do have the SCT livewire with DJs tunes, I run tow ALL the time.. AFE intake, RBP exhaust... I really just don't know what to think now... ANYBODY please help???? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
Ok, so as some of you know about 2 weeks ago I finally brought my truck in to the dealership to get looked at as I could smell HOT antifreeze way to much while driving. Truck is an 05 6.0 with 50,000 miles... Anyway, I am expecting that they will be replacing the head gaskets, they call me after about 5 hours and tell me that it was a "faulty radiator cap" and that they replaced it and my truck is ready to go. So last Thursday I am driving home on the highway with my trailer behind me (5500 lbs) and I can smell the hot coolant again. I get home and there is coolant all over the drivers side of my truck and under the hood.. I call my dealership up and he says bring it back and we will look at it.. Now what are the odds that I would have two "faulty radiator caps" in 2 weeks??? Does this sound like a head gasket problem to anyone else?? Or anybody have any other ideas?? I do have the SCT livewire with DJs tunes, I run tow ALL the time.. AFE intake, RBP exhaust... I really just don't know what to think now... ANYBODY please help???? thanks guys
It sounds like an EGR cooler failure to me. That's what mine did when it went. It also had head gaskets blown but the cooler was causing the coolant to puke out of the degas bottle. You DO NOT have a defective radiator cap.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
x2 on EGR cooler. Now, you might still have bad HG's, but the coolant smell under load is caused by a leaking EGR cooler that is allowing the coolant back into the intake...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
x2 on EGR cooler. Now, you might still have bad HG's, but the coolant smell under load is caused by a leaking EGR cooler that is allowing the coolant back into the intake...
My First Thought, When you go back to the dealer, Voice this opinion.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
truth be known its possible that the egr cooler may be getting ready to go, but more than likely its the head gaskets , the reason they may be putting you off is ford just changed all the rules on any 6.0 repair , egr coolers turbos, head gaskets all have to get prior approval from ford, which is a hassle , and is gonna slow down down dealers just making big repairs without ford involved , it saves ford money thats why they do it

·
Registered
214 Posts
truth be known its possible that the egr cooler may be getting ready to go, but more than likely its the head gaskets , the reason they may be putting you off is ford just changed all the rules on any 6.0 repair , egr coolers turbos, head gaskets all have to get prior approval from ford, which is a hassle , and is gonna slow down down dealers just making big repairs without ford involved , it saves ford money thats why they do it
WOW...gettin real tight on us 6.0 guys.....glad I'm well past the warranty issue...:doh:

Hey Scuffy, has it been kinda' that way for a while if it was a "big ticket" repair involving possible a/m mods? What I mean is if it was going to total over like $1,500-$2K plus they would send out an inspector/rep for approval? Just curious, thanks.

Stay Tuned
Amp

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Sounds like Ford is taking a licking in the wallet and burying the hatchet in our backsides.
We gotta be smarter

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
WOW...gettin real tight on us 6.0 guys.....glad I'm well past the warranty issue...:doh:

Hey Scuffy, has it been kinda' that way for a while if it was a "big ticket" repair involving possible a/m mods? What I mean is if it was going to total over like $1,500-$2K plus they would send out an inspector/rep for approval? Just curious, thanks.

Stay Tuned
Amp
its always been to the point that at any time ford could send out a inspector if they felt the need , for the most part was for after warranty repairs that customers felt should be warrantied or extended warranty repairs , as long as the economy is the way it is , i expect ford to tighten the reigns more and more with any repair they are gonna have to pay for, just gonna get worse for getting warranty repairs done especially if there are any mods involved , makes it harder for us as techs to make any money as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts