Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 F-250 Powerstroke. Noticed a small amount of coolant seemed to be coming past the radiator cap. Made a 360 mile round trip pull to Garner State Park with my 5th wheel trailer over the 4th of July weekend. Next day after returning, on my way home from work, I stopped at a place and went inside for about 5 minutes. When I started my truck, it was hard to start, had a miss and white smoke. I left the radiator cap loose and drove about 5 miles home. I have been told it is head gaskets and or EGR cooler. I have been advised to pull the engine, change the head gaskets, oil cooler, EGR cooler and install studs.
Does this problem sound like head gaskets or could it be just the EGR cooler? Also, I have not driven the truck since. Had to be out of the country on business 3 weeks. When I returned and started the truck to load it on a trailer, it seemed to have coolant on a piston.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i would check the EGR cooler first. Do a coolant pressure test, see if it holds pressure. if it does, do a boost leak test. one of those tests will tell you exactly whats wrong. sounds to me like the EGR cooler has failed though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. From the reading I have been doing, I also need to change the oil cooler. When I search for an oil cooler, I find two different numbers, one very expensive looks like a complete assembly and the other one is a kit. Says it has all the gaskets to change the cooler. Does anyone know if the kit (end in "CA" the assembly ends in "AA") is what I need? I also read that I should park my truck with the rear wheels higher than the front, remove the EGR vavle and then pressure the cooling system. If the EGR cooler is bad, then I should see coolant. Does anyone know if this is correct?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the advice. From the reading I have been doing, I also need to change the oil cooler. When I search for an oil cooler, I find two different numbers, one very expensive looks like a complete assembly and the other one is a kit. Says it has all the gaskets to change the cooler. Does anyone know if the kit (end in "CA" the assembly ends in "AA") is what I need? I also read that I should park my truck with the rear wheels higher than the front, remove the EGR vavle and then pressure the cooling system. If the EGR cooler is bad, then I should see coolant. Does anyone know if this is correct?
if you do that and you see coolant in the intake manifold then it is definitely the EGR cooler. once you pressurize the coolant system and you can tell whether its holding pressure or not, you can find where its leaking and that will pinpoint where you need to fix the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts