Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there my dad's well beloved 99' ford f150 XLT 4x4 auto with the 4.6L has just blew the rear driver side head gasket and he was told by a shop that he had to go to a ford dealership because they have the special cam tools for them.. or is this some sort of BS and it can be done in your drive way... or the other option is to just rebuild the dam motor, oh i almost forgot the shop also said that his lower end is going and his causing some sort of marble type sound when they put a load test on the truck and showed my dad just rebuild it.. well all and every opinion is well accepted i am frequently looking on this forums for anwsers.. well thanks again.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I can't really help you other then to say keep at it!

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
a 4.6 is notorious for thr passenger side head gasket to seep oil, does not hurt anything in te way it runs and for the most part doesnt even usually leak bad enough to be a big issue , the engine last and are very durable,without listening to it , would be hard to determine if it has bottom end issues or not or needs to be rebuilt, does the truck run ok, and just has the leak , there are tools to do the work, but it can be done witout them , if it is done right , i never use the special tools but ive done a tremendous amount of that work, it does take some knowledge to get it right and if not in time it isnt pretty, as far as rebuilding, all the bolts in a 4.6 are torque to yield and have to be replaced , main cap bolts ,head bolts , etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have used them it can be done with out but it is faster with them... time is money when you wrench for a living. you can buy the cam tools on ebay pretty reasonable. I believe kent more, snap on, matco, mac, and local parts stores may even do a loan a tool program, yes the head bolts are torque to yield as was mentioned. my recommendation is ... jerk the engine and put a new one in... 4.6's are dime a dozen there are so many wrecked cop cars out there with them it's rediculous.... I have been buying them for around $500-$800 for complete engines. I picked up a complete running long block for 100 bucks once and it runs great to this day. I wouldn't even screw with head gaskets on the truck seriously do yourself a favor and swap motors. sounds like it has some miles anyways.
best of luck.
brandon

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have one in my '97 t-bird that blew the drvr side head gasket - never got coolant in the oil but would puke coolant every time you'd get on it. I went with a reman engine and replaced it myself because I didn't want to mess with checking / replacing any other worn or uneven parts doing a rebuild. It had 156k miles on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow i would never have guessed to having this many replies back in such a short time.. well the truck runs good it has no valve tick like most others do, it does drizzle some coolant from the rear drivers side, and well my dad considers his truck his other girl.. so yeah in saying that i heard him say that he is just going to pull the motor and have it rebuilt at our local collage that does automotive work and thats were i went to get my automotive ticket.. the qoute he got from the shop to do the heads was 17 hrs flat rate which was around 2500 bucks.. the mods he has in it are k&n intake system, k&n oil filters and royal purple 5w-30 full syn since 2003 and royal purple in the front/rear diffs, amsoil for the transfercase and amsoil for the auto tranny so yeah he does cheap out on his truck as you can see well i thank you guys for all your help i will for sure tell him what you guys thought and i if you have anymore ideas dont be affraid to throw them this way..

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I have done SEVERAL 4.6L/5.4L head gaskets in my time, and I can tell you that NONE have had further issues after the repair. The same cannot be said of Ford's 3.8L V6 engines of '95 model year vintage. I agree with the above posts that '98 to '00 model year 4.6L/5.4L engines have had issues with oil leaks in the past. With that high of mileage, you are probably looking at around the same money to replace with a used engine, or outright rebuilding it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts