Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any tech tried this test. Pull glow plugs and pressurize coolant system looking for coolant out of glow plugs on the 6.0l?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I always just hooked my pressure tester up to that degas hose on the left side of the degas bottle and pressure tested it.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hooked up the tester to the degas bottle in place of the cap. I was not trying to read pressure. I wanted to see if head gaskets are bad. when coolant comes out of glow plug holes. It was a fast and easy test.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I had. I purchased the truck used. Had no smoke because they changed both coolers. Drove truck home and the exhaust had a smell. Coolant pressure never wen't above 2psi as indicated by the degas to gauge and drive test. Purchased a coolant dye test for co2 in coolant. Found the color change of the dye so I remove the glow plugs and pressurized the system to help me comfirm head gaskets. It wouldn't hold pressure as coolant went out glow plugs. Had no boil over or smoke

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aretoo if you are looking for coolant leaks, you must suspect something. If so, why drive it without verifying problem.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I do not have any leaks my gaskets are good, confirmed by block-chek and coolant pressure gauge. My reply was in response to you asking anyone if they had done your test. I ws trying to explain to you the danger of testing your head gaskets by pressurizing the system. I didnt want you to pressurize your system and hydro-lock your motor because you have a leak.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aretoo I never had intentions to start it. I do not know what block check you are referring to. I had suspicion that gaskets were gone. I did your other test but pressure never went up passed 2 psi. I just though if you feel as strongly as I did of a gasket problem that the test was the last one for me. The truck is in the yard ready for the tear down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts