Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently coming home from vacation with my 05' F350 6L towing my car trailer. Suddenly a lot of white smoke came out of tail pipe, and loss of water. I'm assuming a head gasket. I filled it up with water and got it off the road to a dealership a few miles away. I kept topping it off with water not letting it get too hot and made it to the dealership. Motor seems to be still running well despite the white smoke. I won't let it run long not to overheat it. Its now in the Ford dealers hands. Motor should have a 100,000 mile warranty on it which I am under. They tell me they may not want to warranty it because I have an aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner in it. Someone also told me they had a recall on head bolts that had stretch on 04 and 05. Any advice would be appreciated!
Eric

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Take it to another dealer.

failed EGR cooler is where your white smoke is coming from, there is no physical way that an exhaust nor intake could cause a EGR failure.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I would be very suspicious as well of the EGR cooler. There are upgrades available that you might want to consider to keep this from being a headache again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles... hope it goes well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spoke with a lead tech at international who specializes on the 6.0. He said you engines is still under warranty if the DPF is still in place, if not you are out of luck.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I spoke with a lead tech at international who specializes on the 6.0. He said you engines is still under warranty if the DPF is still in place, if not you are out of luck.
DPF?? This is a 6.0 :tard:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The round thing on your stock exhaust before the muffler is the diesel particulate filter (DPF). it like a catalytic converter on a gas engine designed to reduce emmisions. Call International they will explain everything. FYI, the 6.0 Powerstroke has one!!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
LMFAO. the 6.0 DOES NOT have a DPF. They have a catalytic converter and a muffler.

DPF's did not come on vehicles until 08, then they were mandatory on all new diesel, the powerstroke 6.4, the new cummins and the LMM durmax.

Before you tell us what a 6.0 has, you might want to do some checking yourself.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Now that you all got that off your chests, i have seen dealers that will not touch it if the cat is gone. and others that will cover for you and say the cat is in place. but the dealer that you have you truck at seems like they are by the book. If they will not do the work for you then you should see about haveing the thing towed to another dealer that will do the work. Abrannan 19 Knows what he is taking about guys.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
EGR and oil cooler failure. And no, a 6.0L DOES NOT have a DPF. And I am a tech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was recently coming home from vacation with my 05' F350 6L towing my car trailer. Suddenly a lot of white smoke came out of tail pipe, and loss of water. I'm assuming a head gasket. I filled it up with water and got it off the road to a dealership a few miles away. I kept topping it off with water not letting it get too hot and made it to the dealership. Motor seems to be still running well despite the white smoke. I won't let it run long not to overheat it. Its now in the Ford dealers hands. Motor should have a 100,000 mile warranty on it which I am under. They tell me they may not want to warranty it because I have an aftermarket exhaust and air cleaner in it. Someone also told me they had a recall on head bolts that had stretch on 04 and 05. Any advice would be appreciated!
Eric
I also own a 2005 6.0 and have had all kinds of problems, I would like to know are these trucks worth keeping? or start over with a different one? I am really serious about this it seems the expenses of upkeep is awful for a truck that is suppose to be built to work.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Man this trucks are very good somtimes you just have to take a little out here and little out there and a tuff as nails truck you have.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yes it is the egr and oil cooler trust me it has happened to me three times now. In fact mine is in the shop right now. This time they are going to put the delete kit on under warranty. If your dealer says they wont service it get another one. My dealer will service it no matter what. maybe that is due to the fact that my grandfather used to own the dealership and they know me very well. Do yourself a favor and delete the stupped thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts