Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know head bolts/studs are a big topic but I am confused at what I have in my 05 6.0. the bolts are black and have a "118R" marking on them. Based on what I have found everywhere the Ford head bolts have a brass/gold look to them. Can anyone tell me if what I have are aftermarket or Ford head bolts?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Jokester. But my bolt only has the 118R marking not anything else.are there aftermarket bolts out there that I am unaware of?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
My bad - I misread your question. As far as aftermarket bolts - yes, there are some out there. As far as if yours are OEM, i'm not sure about the markings. I know someone who can help though...

Calling @voodooridr & @fordsvtparts

These guys can help!

-jokester

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,822 Posts
From my recollection, the OEM head bolts will have 118R on them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@bismic . Thank you for the reply. that is a bummer though, but considering this truck is sitting on 225k and P.O. had it DOT registered had to have used it for heavy hauling, I hope I can get a few years out of it before I have to put studs an gaskets on it.

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Heavy_GD .. I would assume that this is a standard head bolt across the board hence the reason the 6oh has so many of them. in any case considering that I have 225k on the clock and P.O. used it as a heavy haul truck hopefully I can get a couple years out of it before I have to put studs in. Thank you.

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
It would seem that way, I wanted to share the google link for others to confirm that thought.

That said, I think a LOT of companies sold head stud/gasket jobs to fix a problem that was not caused by either of those things.

There are a lot of healthy stock 6.0s with functioning oil coolers and EGRs

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
The only 6.0 we have in the shop has 118R on the bolts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,822 Posts
@bismic . Thank you for the reply. that is a bummer though, but considering this truck is sitting on 225k and P.O. had it DOT registered had to have used it for heavy hauling, I hope I can get a few years out of it before I have to put studs an gaskets on it.
I really wouldn't view aftermarket head bolts as a good thing. The OEM bolts are just fine as far as bolts go. Studs are inherently MUCH stronger and ARP is the way to go w/ studs.

·
Vendor
1,068 Posts
All of the bolts in our Ford head gasket kits are black with the 118 marking. We've often tossed the bolts to save shipping costs for customers who are using studs. All of these have looked the same as well; I don't recall any with a brass type color.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I found my old TTY bolts last night. Black with 118 on all of them as well. No brass color though.

k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts