Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my truck at the dealer a few times over it pucking. The last time I took it in they told me I was over filling it. When i get there I pop the hood and look to see how much the had filled it up. It did not have any in the botle ,and they told me that was right so I drive it home and now it wants to overheat. So I add a little antifreez, now it wants to blow again. Thinks for the help !:dunno:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds to me like they wanted to just get rid of you. If its getting too hot then you may have egr cooler or h/g concerns.They were probably too booked up to do a coolant pressure test while driving it to see if the h/g's were were seeping coolant. It is a long drawn out process hooking it all up but it does give you the diognostics you need to determine if its h/g's or not. Does it smoke any at idle when hot or when on a hard accelleration? Is there any coolant leaking anywhere? The bottle min. mark lable should have been revised a long time ago where the coolant would have to be at.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
If they havent checked the EGR cooler (the likely problem) or the headgaskets (a possibilty) then it sounds like they are trying to avoid the problem.

If you can, try to locate another dealer. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Go to another dealer, its obviously a problem and if they have ever heard of the 6.0 they know about it. They are just playing dumb to get rid of you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Did you ask them why you had a bottle to put coolant in if it doesn't need any? Or maybe ask them why it overheats when it empty? They sound like they didn't want to touch it. Hopefully they didn't charge you anything!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no they did not charge me the truck only has 24,000 on it and is not 3years old yet. I just took it back about 1hour ago . I asked for a tec to ride with me and I showed him wat it was doing so I guess I will wait anoter 2 weeks to hear them say thiers nothing wrong again. Thanks for the input. Oh I did question them about the egr cooler and they tried to play dumb at first but they finaly came around and said they do have problems with them.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
GO TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP!! FIRST OFF YOUR TRUCK SHOULD BE STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND SECOND THEY SOUND LIKE THEY DON'T WANT TO FIX IT SO WHY PAY,AND WHY GO BACK?

OR DID YOU GET FLAGGED FOR AFTER MARKET MODS AND THATS WHY YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY COVERAGE AND WOULD ALSO EXPLAIN WHY THEY DON'T WANT TO HELP.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Did you get flagged for after market mods the previous posts said it all, head gaskets egr cooler head bolts stretched. Their is obviously a problem.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have had my truck at the dealer a few times over it pucking. The last time I took it in they told me I was over filling it. When i get there I pop the hood and look to see how much the had filled it up. It did not have any in the botle ,and they told me that was right so I drive it home and now it wants to overheat. So I add a little antifreez, now it wants to blow again. Thinks for the help !:dunno:
Find a good Ford or International dealer to take your truck to as those guys gave you the brush off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They did not say anything about the mods when they replaced the turbo 10,000mi ago. the only mods are intake,exhaust,and gages.I dont think I got flagged.

J

·
0 Posts
!

Remember this, If the coolant is at the proper level and it pushes out its head gaskets, if it is using coolant and your blowing white smoke and water is coming out the exhaust its an egr cooler.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Some dealers are just lacking real diesel techs. I'll bet it's just why they are brushing you off!!
Don't just let any shmo touch it.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
If your system holds pressure and everything else is fine (no cross-contamination, smoke, etc.) your t-stat may be pooched. I saw coolant puking lots of times on 350 cheby gassers (UGH!) due to clogged/stuck thermostats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jon i think I have headgasket problems then b/c its not using it just blowing it out thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't see alot of h/g concerns with these, just egr cooler failing. Had about 3 in all the ones I've done & all the rest were egr & oil coolers. I alway replace the oil coolers too since they are the main culprit for egr cooler failures. The lower sump screen on some are torn & I alway remove the ipr valve & inspect for torn or debris on the screen. If ok, then I know I don't have to check the pump.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
ill agree with jon on this , when the coolant is at proper level and its puking my guess is headgaskets , i do myself at least 2 sets a week, on top of several egrs coolers or oil cooler/egr cooler combos , they are blowing you off , go to another dealer, make sure they check egr coler , oil cooler , make them ride with you to do this , if temps between ect and eot are in spec the its headgaskets

1 - 17 of 17 Posts