Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 f350 6.0 just hit 150k miles and I did an oil change on it 3 days ago and today and yesterday having issues with it. At stop lights after it is up to temp sounds and feels like it’s going to stall out and while driving it, it seems to get up to higher rpm before wanting to shift and when reaching 50-55mph and 1500 rpms it like sputters and shakes and gets worse when you try to increase rpm. But after driving like 10miles it mainly goes away then comes and goes until I stop. I am clueless to what it could be I have owned this truck since 100k miles 2.5 years ago I do oil changes every 5k-7k miles. I saw on a previous thread maybe egr valve or icp.. replaced both last night and still having issues this morning. Need help as this is my work truck.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,782 Posts
Get a scan tool. Don't just guess and change parts.

What is the oil level on the stick (high or low or in the middle)?

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
What oil filter are you using? -- picture of the filter housing and cap would be beneficial

Gonna own a diesel, you need to be able to get codes and monitor the system when there is a problem

These should be mandatory for any 6.0 and 7.3 (info for 7.3 is missing)
Fuel pressure gauge -- (M12x1.5 thread adapter - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)
Base oil pressure gauge -- (test port on front of oil cooler housing 9/16x18 imperial o-ring fitting - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)

I suggest downloading ForScan and using the OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter for troubleshooting
Torque Pro would be good for everyday use with an old phone or tablet -- can be mounted on the dash
Scan Gauge is small and simple -- can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster
there are other monitor solutions, but the price goes higher

ForScan is a simple download for PC, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
There is a "demo" in the app options, so you can use the app without being connected, to get familiar with the screens
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and a reliable adapter -- the MX+ is smaller, faster and more features

The PC version is the most powerful and does the "click test" and other tests
you do not need the license for troubleshooting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a scan tool. Don't just guess and change parts.

What is the oil level on the stick (high or low or in the middle)?
I will plan on looking into a scan tool and the oil level was slightly towards the high side, i believe i got it fixed. I posted to my FB group around the small town i live at and a few other people in the area also are having the same issue and drained the fuel tank and replaced fuel filter and refilled new diesel from another store after about an hour of idle it sounds better and drove just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will plan on looking into a scan tool and the oil level was slightly towards the high side, i believe i got it fixed. I posted to my FB group around the small town i live at and a few other people in the area also are having the same issue and drained the fuel tank and replaced fuel filter and refilled new diesel from another store after about an hour of idle it sounds better and drove just fine.
We all got fuel from our local gas station and the problem occured this week for everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts