Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have problem starting my 2000 F 450 unless it is pluged up. Have changed the glow plugs and the controller. They work like they are suppose too. Have also installed an LED in the cab to indicate that they are on. The engine runs fine down the road and pulls great, but just won't start when it cool or cold. The only way to start it is to use gas on a rag or either if not able to plug it up. Then it runs real rough until it warms up.

This started all at one time and I haven't found the problem yet.
Note: I have a superchip in it , and have reverted back to the original setting and still the same thing. Could it be the O-Rings on the Injectors or the High Pressure pump. This has me dumbfounded. I am a mechanic by trade but have little knowledge of the 7.3

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to find the answer. My baby brother has a shop of his own and he has the same problem with two 7.3

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dis you check the glow plug relay , or is that what you meant by the controller?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Being that it's only a cold weather issue only makes me think it still could be a glow plug issue. 7.3 have problems sometimes with the under valve cover wiring. Have you checked to see if the power is getting to the glow plugs.
I would take a ohmmeter and read the connectors at the valve covers.
I also would check the oil level in the High pressure pump, it should be about an inch to 3/4's of an inch of the top thats probably not the problem but it's easy to check.

Hope this helps

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAve checked the volts at the glow plugs and all that is ok. Like I say it cranks just like a gas engine when it is pluged up other wise it don't. Even these last few days here in East Texas when is has been in the 70 to lower 80 it still will not crank unless it is pluged up. If not pluged up it will eventually crank put runs real rough until it is warmed up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you pulled the codes on it? I expect this sounds silly but have you changed your fuel filter lately? Checked the fuel pressure at the shraeder valve, I`m thinking weak fuel pump. and cleaned the screen in the FPR? Cleaned the EBP tube and sensor. How about the fuel element in the bottom of the fuel bowl. How about the CPS, does the needle move when you are trying to crank it. If it doesn`t it`s the CPS. Of coarse I`m just guessing so I probably shouldn`t reply. Good luck with finding it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts