Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more than a little annoyed, and just wanted to see what my other options / peoples opinions are before re-committing to sct and sending them MORE money.

I've got a full delete, and an SCT Livewire. Apparently my Livewire is not the right-one to do DPF deletes. (It's not the extreme version.) So now I have to physically send it back in for a swap?? Just what I've been told. Like the device is really DIFFERENT from the other model. :dunno:

The real problem is... I DON'T EVEN WANT to tune the engine / transmission for now. I want them stock because I like the way it runs and shifts, and JUST want to turn off the regen. Being on 38x15.50's without regearing yet (stock 3.73), my poor transmission would be sitting between a stronger engine and a heavier load. Sometime after regearing, I'll start playing with different tunes, but my goal is more longevity than anything else.

I would also like to be able to read my EGT's properly without drilling and tapping via the EGRT1 sensor located pre-turbo. It's there, been discussed here in another thread. The Edge Insight can read this without a problem.... so here's to hoping SCT gets on the ball with that. It's really not difficult. :doh:

So what option do I really have? All I want is a tuner that will allow me to turn off the DPF on a stock engine/trans, read all the sensors & codes, and allow me to tune later on down the road. How hard is that really? Just seems like no one single device can do that simple, short list.

Thanks for listening to my rant! Any advice would be appreciated before I commit to upgrading to the higher level livewire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe the live wire can read the same senser as the edge insight - it is in kpa instead of psi - it is accurate - reads the same as the edge juice after you convert f/ kpa - F.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the live wire can read the same senser as the edge insight - it is in kpa instead of psi - it is accurate - reads the same as the edge juice after you convert f/ kpa - F.

I think we're talking about two different sensors... The EGRT1 is a temperature sensor for measuring exhaust gas temps.

Anything reading in kPa (kilopascal) is a measure of pressure, same as psi, for reading boost, backpressure, etc. I'm trying to get accurate EGT's without drilling to install the sct probe.

Here is a pic with a red circle. Credit to the original poster of the image, on this forum;

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doh! I ment celcius - I believe it takes its reading from the senser you have circled.
I have a list in my truck converting from celcius to Farenhiet - (EGR In) it reads the same as the juice monitor egts.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh! I ment celcius - I believe it takes its reading from the senser you have circled.
I have a list in my truck converting from celcius to Farenhiet - (EGR In) it reads the same as the juice monitor egts.
OH ok! So the name in the "PID" list for that sensor on the Livewire is called EGR-IN / EGR In, something like that? If thats the right sensor, thats great! Thanks!
:thumb:

Now I just have to figure out this tuner business, and getting the regen shut off without tuning and changing around the whole engine/trans (or if that's even possible right now). Not sure why the tunes can't just start off with DPF/EGR disable, THEN go to towing, performance, extreme, etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe that SCT converts the standard LiveWire into the Extreme with just the DPF delete tune program. It all costs the same. No sending it in, just a download.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that SCT converts the standard LiveWire into the Extreme with just the DPF delete tune program. It all costs the same. No sending it in, just a download.
See, thats what I thought too, but apparently the 9621 and 9623 are physically different. I've been told to RMA it, and pay the difference, to get the "extreme" version that will have dpf delete. They must have done something in the hardware to prevent people with the 9621 from getting their hands on the extreme tunes.

Do you know if you can switch the dpf off for the stock tune? Or do you have to load one of SCT's tunes?

Sucks to pay for the extreme hp/tq numbers, when all you want to do is flip the DPF off and not reprogram the truck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
See, thats what I thought too, but apparently the 9621 and 9623 are physically different. I've been told to RMA it, and pay the difference, to get the "extreme" version that will have dpf delete. They must have done something in the hardware to prevent people with the 9621 from getting their hands on the extreme tunes.

You are correct, I am going through this exact thing right now. I am waiting on my tuner to be returned as a 9623, they said when they built them they put less memory in the 9621 than the 9623, and with the delete tune you MUST upgrade. Hmm, nice way to make extra cash. :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
387 Posts
HHHmmm, Does the standard LiveWire have the hookup for the EGT sensor on the bottom of it? That's the only way I can see them being physically different. Because why would there need to be a hardware upgrade just for that 1 extra tune?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HHHmmm, Does the standard LiveWire have the hookup for the EGT sensor on the bottom of it? That's the only way I can see them being physically different. Because why would there need to be a hardware upgrade just for that 1 extra tune?
It has the network cable (for obd), and what looks to be a firewire and mini-usb cable ports.

I think they just did something to it on purpose so people with the cheaper one couldnt just download the tune.

Besides all of this shady livewire stuff.... is there any way to have the dpf off without tuning the rest of the truck?? :confused:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nope, gotta have a programmer to remove the DPF.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, gotta have a programmer to remove the DPF.
Sorry to be so redundant, but just to be clear, you're saying you actually have to tune the engine/trans to higher HP levels in order to shut off regen? I realize you need a programmer to be rid of the dpf... but... basically,there is no such thing as a "stock tune" with dpf/regen-off?

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
SCT livewire with 1.20 "offroad" dpf delete program offers 4 tunes you can install. The first is a transmission only/no engine tuning that with turn the regen off. The other 3 increase hp levels and tune the transmission. They are called towing,performance and extreme. So no you dont have to tune the engine, you can leave it stock. I hope that clears this up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
SCT livewire with 1.20 "offroad" dpf delete program offers 4 tunes you can install. The first is a transmission only/no engine tuning that with turn the regen off. The other 3 increase hp levels and tune the transmission. They are called towing,performance and extreme. So no you dont have to tune the engine, you can leave it stock. I hope that clears this up.
Perfect, thanks!

Don't suppose anyone would know if there's a list of what each tune does? Not hp/tq numbers, but WHAT the transmission-only tune does, for example. Parameters that are changed, etc. :crazy:

EDIT: found this;
Transmission Only Tune - Speed Limiter Removed, Firmer Shifts / Adjusted Shift Points and modified torque truncation

So besides changing shift rpms and the speed limiter, it just ups the line pressure I guess?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Well that's kind of a funny thing. SCT advertises that the livewire adjusts the parameters list above, which it usually did. Key word here is did. It would seem that with the current version 1.20 the end user options have been removed. When you could adjust the transmission, the options were for tire size in revs per mile, transmssion shift points were adjustable based on speed, and shift pressure was adjustable. Also when you began to load the program you could choose std or race shift points before the program even went in. This was on version 1.18 for dpf delete(replaced by 1.20) and 1.17 non-delete which is still current. This 1.20 was suppose to be a temporary thing until the final fix was out, that was a few weeks ago. Some issues existed with WFO shifts on auto F450's, 1.20 fixed it. The version 1.20 works great on my F450 as it is written from SCT, but I want my tires size adjustment back. It should be corrected soon in hoping. If you want a copy of 1.18 let me know and I'll send you it. Just beware of possible issues with shift, my guess would be this in only in the extreme or higher hp tunes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats interesting about the transmission options. Kindof seems like SCT is flying by the seat of their pants with all of this. Can't say I blame them, since they're just trying to be the first to do things. As long as they do it RIGHT, which is arguable.

The gripe I have now is with the fact that you have to have the 9623 (extreme) livewire for a dpf delete. I have the 9621 and am being told to that I have to upgrade ($550) by sct dealers. I don't even want the extreme tune right now.

Seems like it would have been better to have two livewires, as before (9621/9623), offer a CHEAPER upgrade to just flip a switch so to speak, to have the dpf off on either model.

I've already spent $650 or so on a livewire that is supposed to program the vehicle, then have to spend an extra $400-$550 to add one tiny option to it that really should be part of the total package... I dunno.

Maybe I'm the only one, but the implementation of this has been a little confusing and at the same time, the money trail just keeps getting longer and longer. I don't have a problem paying to play... but it would be nice to have a clearer idea of what is going on so I don't feel taken advantage of. :dunno:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry to be so redundant, but just to be clear, you're saying you actually have to tune the engine/trans to higher HP levels in order to shut off regen? I realize you need a programmer to be rid of the dpf... but... basically,there is no such thing as a "stock tune" with dpf/regen-off?

Thanks! :thumb:
Ahh, miss understanding. With the SCT you can do a Transmission only tune that will allow the DPF to be removed and no HP gains.

Good news is that the custom tuning program should be out around June 1st. Here's hoping it true.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey man make sure you tell them you want the dpf delete program, it cost me 399$ to buy it to add into my extreme sct live wire

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey man make sure you tell them you want the dpf delete program, it cost me 399$ to buy it to add into my extreme sct live wire
Thanks for the info... just called Innovative today for the tune.... delete pipe in the garage waiting.... should be an interesting weekend! :rockwoot:

·
Registered
27 Posts
oh yea it should be my delete pipe is going on today just waiting for my buddy to let me into his shops to bolt it in. blowin a lil smoke for memorial day for sure

1 - 20 of 31 Posts