Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 03 Excursion with the 6.0 from a Used Lot. Is there a way of telling (without asking) if the motor has been fixed?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm looking at a 03 Excursion with the 6.0 from a Used Lot. Is there a way of telling (without asking) if the motor has been fixed?
If they're done right, no. About the only thing you'll see is head studs and a coolant bypass filter.

Ask for receipts that prove it was done right and then call the shop to verify. If they don't have proof, it's not worth any more than a truck that hasn't had the work done (even if it's studded).

The early model 6.0's were the most problematic. I'd be really cautious.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can look for head studs. Also can look at the up pipe on the passenger side, from under the truck and see if the egr cooler is there. Non of these checks means it's 'bullet proofed'. It just means that those two particular things have been addressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can also look at turbo feed line, if it has a steel braided section it is the older style, solid tubing is updated. Not indicating bulletproofing but if it has updated feed line, theres a chance truck was worked on by knowledgeable shop. Can lead to other important items being addressed. Can look for remanufactured tags on turbo and transmission as well. Check out exhaust manifolds if they have ever been drilled for EGT guage. Small things like that can add up to tell the trucks real story. If theres no paperwork to prove any work youre better off buying a virgin engine. Studs don't mean much if job was done poorly and if truck abused.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A word on EGR coolers..

There are several ways that people address these.

1) a delete kit. It's simply gone
2) upgraded cooler (several manufacturer's out there that have these)
3) new OEM cooler
4) it's still there, but someone removed it and welded it shut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. My problem is, (and I'm sure I'm not alone) I have a general mistrust for used dealers, and wouldn't believe them if they told me the color of the sky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the end of the day buying a used 6.0 regardless of work done is a toss up. Unless you can take it for an hour test drive with 10k on it while monitoring all parameters, be prepared to spend some cash on it. Some issues will not present themselves in a daily driver application.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked for a long time (almost a year) and drove dozens of trucks (and drove my family mad).

At the end of the day I chose a truck that was stock but had what I knew was an oil cooler issue. I bought it right and put some additional money into it and took it to a shop of my choosing to have the full bulletproofing done.

Now I have a good running truck with some warranty from the guy that did it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got lucky when I bought mine. I was planning on getting a 6.0 anyway, knew all of the problems and had originally planned on buying one and spending the money from the car I was selling to get it bullet proofed. I mentioned to the guy I was going to buy it from what I planned to do, and he said he thought he already had that done and gave me the receipts. I think he was hesitant to tell me about it because he probably thought it would scare me off. It was a pretty recent job at the time (2012), and I was able to call the shop and talk about the job. They were reputable, and I pulled the trigger. I got lucky, the truck had been bullet proofed, had just had the turbo replaced and some other stuff that I don't remember at the time. It cost the previous owner some money to get it healthy again.

I had to replace the alternator and FICM since then, did a few other things like the blue spring mod, stand pipes and dummy plugs and have a very solid 6.0 now. I'm planning on doing the fuel pump proactively, and also have a glow plug going out so I bought 8 new ones and the two wiring harnesses. I need to swap those out.

It has about 180,000 miles on it now and other than a transmission, my only other worry is fuel injectors. They're bound to go bad soon enough I'd think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts