Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Ethos- Fuel Re formulator. Everyone that has used this or sells it claims that it is a life saver, getting 3-5 MPG better? It is a formula of specially designed esters, you put into your oil, and your gas. I bought one bottle at $40 bucks....very expensive...but it did seem to work. My truck gets 10mpg in the city, about 8.5-9 in winter with the crap they put gas in winter. I used this stuff back in January when it was still below 35 most every day. What is hard for me to tell, is I used it in the oil (half the bottle), and two tanks of gas, but I drove a ton of hwy miles immediately after. It seemed as i was getting 15mpg according to the control panel, but I dont believe it. I want to know what other luck other people have had before I spend so much more on this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Never heard of it. 3-5mpg better I doubt it. :doh:

How many gallons does a $40 dollar bottle treat?

I cant find much about them other than their own website.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they claim you add 2-5 ounces to the initial tank for a cleaning, then 1 ounce per 10 gallons. I have a 38 gallon tank so figure 4 ounces per fill up(after the initial). The bottle holds 32 ounces....for 40 bucks, and I know you can get about 20-30% cheaper if you buy the gallons on amazon or something.

Lets just figure 4 ounces per fillup, the $40 dollar bottle will last 8 fillups. I currently get 10 mpg in the city. If it allows me to get 12 mpg in the city, an increase of only 2mpg, (but that is 20%), then with Diesel at 2.50 Gallon, figure I add 34 gallons into the tank each time......

...currently 34 gallons over 8 fillups equals 2720 miles. With the Ethos added I would get 3264 miles on the same 8 tanks. That is an extra 544 miles for $40 bucks. That 544 at 2.50 a gallon would cost 113.33 minus the 40 bucks for ethos....that means I would save about 73 bucks over 8 fillups or 9 bucks a fillup.

Now the biggest claim that the salespeople claim is that the esters help lubricate everything. Pretty much every items that the ULSD takes away from as we know the ULSD does not lubricate like the LSD or HSD fuels. Ethos is set up like Ams-Oil where anyone can sell.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have ran lucas, diesel kleen(grey and white bottle) and now Milligans bio based conditioner. The milligans claimed a quieter engine, less smoke and up to 30% better fuel economy.

I have seen no real improvements with any of these products. These trucks are built and designed to run on ULSD so realistically no additives should need to be used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts