Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I got another 6.0, the one in my signature. After having an 04, the replacement F-150 just didn't grow on me. I don't drive a whole bunch having a company car so the price of fuel wasn't really a factor.

Anyways; the 05 I picked up has 108k on the clock. Looking at the truck you would probably guess 30k. She's a spotless, rust free Georgia peach :woot:

Just to gets my ducks in a row, I have been researching shops in my area once the enevitable day arrives that I blow the head gaskets. I don't know if the truck has ever been chipped but she has DJ's Looney on her now.

One shop tells me the problem all along has been the supplier of the heads providing heads out of tolerance. He said that's why the early years were worse than the latter, Ford caught the problem. Has anybody else heard this? He said that even with the Looney Tune there is a good chance I won't need studs. The reason I tend to believe him is that his shop was the one I was going to have install the studs. I was thinking of having it done now to get it over with but he said not to. That tells me alot about his company.......

·
Registered
269 Posts
that makes a lot of sense with the earlier trucks but I'm almost positive that it's a combination of that and studs stretching when running tunes. If anything, putting the studs in under warranty is pretty cheap insurance compared to having to do it without warranty.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Honestly, never heard anything about the heads out of tolerance. But that Ford thicken the gaskets, lowered the tolerance for "warped heads", and possibly changed the torque pattern. Late 04s to the 05s. Thats why there were less issues. Not totally gone away, by lowered.

With any of the hotter tunes (i.e. Looney, Xtreme Race) especially if you really start modding and increasing power, studs as well as EGR block/delete is a good idea.:nod:

Just tossing this out there, maybe the shop doesn't want to get invoked with either a cab off or engine out repair.:dunno: I dont know the shop, so that'd be your call.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tossing this out there, maybe the shop doesn't want to get invoked with either a cab off or engine out repair.:dunno: I dont know the shop, so that'd be your call.
I was thinking the same thing until I went there. They are a diesel specialty shop that comes highly recommended. Plus, here in Michigan most places are looking for any business they can get.........

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
interesting...but i have an 03 with 95k on it and i have run the SCT with no head issues (yet)

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Count me in as an owner of a 05 who had heads that were out of tolerance and blown headgaskets. Fortuantely, I was able to get them repaired/replaced under warranty. I've been running a SCT for most of my 98k miles and went in for studs about a year ago. I don't even come close to beating my truck -- just one of those things that happens.

On the flip side, I know a guy who beats his 6.0 like a rented mule and hasn't had a single issue with puking coolant. Go figure.

IMO, I'd hold off on the studs if you're just running a SCT. If you start puking coolant, then its time to replace the headgaskets, check the tolerance of the heads, and get studded. Just my $.02, and it would certainly seem like you found a good shop if they're not trying to take your money "just because."

--Snake

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna run her and see what happens :woot: I just installed my Magnaflow 4inch turbo back tonight. Nice clean install :thumb: With the down pipe removed I was able to varify that the previous owner indeed welded up the EGR up pipe :thumb::thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts