Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the Bullet Proof EGR Cooler for a few months, then pulled it off when I had to Smog the truck in CA for the first time. Nobody caught it. ( used a non-EGR up-pipe and a block for the coolant on the intake. I have a custom milled out intake, too. If I remove the EGR Valve, then my system doesn't cool, the fan don't spin, and it overheats. I have 5 different tunes from a bunch of "tuners" (Eric, Bill, Matt, Vivian, etc) for the SCT X3. But my understanding is, they really don't do anything. If the EGR Cooler is not there, the EGR valve can sit there and open and close. Who cares? Then my system looks little more legit, and the tune doesn't have to be tuned for an EGR Delete. I've noticed some tuners say they won't tune for an EGR Delete. SO if it's gone, no harm no foul, for the ECM. Sinister Diesel makes some EGR Deleted Up Pipes, not for sale in CA, and they work awesome. Please chime in if I've stated something wrong or off. Thx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gents, great post. I’ve been searching for something like this. I have a BPD egr but wish I would have done the delete. I’m thinking the IPR plug is my answer without redoing everything. Only question I have is my tune. I have the SCT X4 with the ID Ultimate X tune. Now the SCT in stock form has the EGR deleted option, is that still an option once you have downloaded another tune? I haven’t installed the plug yet and haven’t looked at my tune yet. Just asking the question before I spend the money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Orders the plug and tuner yesterday. Got the tuner from gearhead. Unlimited tow, 8 k tow and SRL custom tunes added. I have not ran an SCT tuner before. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be in and can answer your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my Diesel Mechanic do a complete EGR delete, got rid of the muffler for a pipe oil cooler replacement and added a tune-up kit. He also tested head bolts and pressure....my girl runs like a raped ape....no offence meant to anyone, My exhaust temps are way down and I leave it in tow/haul mode. Everyone says my truck sounds like a jet engine is inside my truck....good luck. 2006 F-250 6.0 Lariat 4x4

·
Registered
23 Posts
Orders the plug and tuner yesterday. Got the tuner from gearhead. Unlimited tow, 8 k tow and SRL custom tunes added. I have not ran an SCT tuner before. Hopefully tomorrow everything will be in and can answer your question.
I bought the plug yesterday myself. I went with the $90 one on eBay. Unfortunately i won’t be home for another week before I can install. I look forward to your install notes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got the plug in today. Programmer is looking like Monday or Tuesday. Looks solid. Lighter then I was expecting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
I bolt mine down to one of the intake elbow bolts

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Went ahead and installed the plug in tonight. My truck was throwing 3 different codes due to the EGR valve anyways. The IPR is a tighter fit than the dorman EGR valve. So started the truck with the EGR valve plugged in and watched the valve for a while. Notice the valve was always cracked open regardless in high idle or not. Don’t know much about how the valve should function, but it never sweated completely. Afterward took it around town a while. Everythings running fine and did notice better throttle response. May be just in my head or the EGR valve was just always cracked open??

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Mine throws a P0401 insufficient EGR flow code, I just clear it with my CTS2 monitor

·
Registered
796 Posts
It seems like I play the contrarian even when I don't intend to.

When I get my motor back together I'll be using 2 stainless steel core plugs from McMaster to fit in the up pipe, and I made a stainless block plate that will go between the EGR cooler and intake manifold. The core plugs act as a primary damper, but the plate the main blockage. It will keep the valve in place (I ran for a long tie with a spare sitting on the manifold) and with nothing welded can return to stock if NJ ever becomes CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have an EGR that isn't leaking and is turned off in software in the PCM then I would think you would have less chance of failure because there is not a constant flow of hot exhaust gasses through it; it would essentially be a bellow or dead-end space. Same with a EGR valve delete adapter. Unless you block the input to the EGR cooler in the uppipe like toomanytoys, there will always be some exhaust gasses there adding heat to the cooling system.

If you do the EGR valve delete adapter without altering the software, you would get an EGR insufficient flow code - the PCM monitors the EGR valve (There is a circuit that activates the EGR and a feedback circuit that verifies position), as well as MAF (air flow should go down if EGR is displacing part of the incoming air) and IAT2 (temperature in the manifold should go up with EGR flowing). If any of those things are inconsistent, the PCM will set an insufficient flow code.

There is a thread here about the PCM going to "EPA limp mode" and radiator fan not functioning properly in that situation however I don't know if there is any reliable source of info on this.

In addition, if you live in california, you will need to have emissions "Readiness monitors" including the EGR test as complete to pass smog.

In my own situation, I bought the truck with the EGR deleted completely and just a coolant bypass. If I moved to a smog control area I would probably get the Bulletproof diesel EGR cooler and have the EGR valve deactivated in software.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
i ran a spool for awhile to replace my bad egr valve on my 04. i mean it works i guess. never had any issues from it and it did its job.

when i officially deleted the cooler i used a block off plate that just uses the factory v band clamp to hold it on to the y pipe. the aftermarket pipes that come in the kits are junk, i had one on it first and it wouldnt seal cause the flange wasnt good enough. so i put the block off plate on the stock up pipe and called it a day. no issues at all and it does the job till i can get a spare pipe to cut up and weld bellows in and cut the EGR part off of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have an EGR that isn't leaking and is turned off in software in the PCM......

I am only aware of the SCT tuner that is able to clear the codes that occur when you do an egr and valve delete. What tune or program will keep the actual valve closed? And can you use your preferred tunes but have the tune to keep the valve closed? I’m running the ultimate X tune from innovative diesel. I love the tune but they don’t have an egr deleted option.
I’m pretty sure I’m very ignorant to what tunes are available out there 🙄

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
An EGR valve commanded shut isn't necessarily shut.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Took the truck on a 60 mile trip last night. Temp outside was about 27. My ECT and EOT deltas have always been about 8 to 9 degrees difference at about 75 to 80 MPH. I will see 10 sometimes but always steady out at 9 or 10. Last night I saw 11 degree delta for the first time. Still do not have a the programmer. Does this have something to do with the spook plug or just coincidence? Thank you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took the truck on a 60 mile trip last night. Temp outside was about 27. My ECT and EOT deltas have always been about 8 to 9 degrees difference at about 75 to 80 MPH. I will see 10 sometimes but always steady out at 9 or 10. Last night I saw 11 degree delta for the first time. Still do not have a the programmer. Does this have something to do with the spook plug or just coincidence? Thank you.

I haven’t done the plug yet. Having said that, my deltas have always been high, 12-15. After doing the bulletproof with a new ford oil cooler and BPD egr cooler, it still throws 12-15. I do run a programmer though.
I’ve “read” so many different articles saying 15 is bad and 15 isn’t abnormal. Idk what’s bad. I would be happy with 11’s.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts