Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of research lately. My truck still has the EGR Cooler in it and assume it is not welded due to black soot build up on the valve after installing a new EGR valve last year. I want to try and delete the egr. I would like to put a delete kit on it but have heard people speak of the Y pipe breaking. So I thought I would buy a already welded EGR cooler but will always have that though in the back of my mind that it could fail still.

I would like advice and opinions on my idea. I was thinking of installing the bullet proof diesel EGR cooler. Would also purchase a programmer that would allow me to turn the EGR system off. Then have the EGR valve welded shut. That way if I had to, I could just install a new valve and have a functioning EGR system. I’m sure this has been brought up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,653 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
5,653 Posts
Coolant will be flowing through the EGR cooler. The "trapped" exhaust gas will be cooler than if you had "flowing" exhaust gas.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
... Would the cooler not get too hot with trapped exhaust gasses not being able to flow through it?
No. The exhaust gases aren't flowing because the path to the intake is blocked. The hot stuff is going past the deadheaded EGR cooler path and out the tailpipe.

I've run a spool plug for 50K or so. No issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will give this a shot. Seems like it would be the best all around way of doing this. Just removal of the plug and you have a working EGR system. And would guess the bullet proof cooler would have big enough passages to keep from clogging easily. Thanks guys for the info!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Incidentally, you can buy them on eBay. Search for "Diesel EGR Eliminator".

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
5,653 Posts
Not a freeze plug fan. Seen them fail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I’m going to order that IPR plug for the valve and a SCT tuner from gear heads to turn the EGR of. Will see how it works with the cooler I have now. If it goes bad before I need a new oil I will order the BPD EGR cooler then.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
5,653 Posts
The heat and the thermal cycling causes them to eventually leak in my experience. They aren't very thick as far as the metal is concerned.

·
Registered
376 Posts
hmm, have to keep my eye on that then.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an 04 and no tuner is required..........

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
5,653 Posts
Doesn't throw codes and passes emissions.
IMO the real reason to get a tuner (and an EGR delete tune) after an EGR delete is so that the PCM will account for the lack of EGR when calculating the fueling and managing efficient combustion .... even if it does pass emissions testing.

·
Super Moderator
9,307 Posts
I want to try and delete the egr. I would like to put a delete kit on it but have heard people speak of the Y pipe breaking.

That was as a result of the up pipe expansion sections being stressed by heat over time. That EGR spool will not stop a up-pipe from breaking, you need new aftermarket up-pipes or HD bellows to help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
pull your egr, weld it shut and don't look back........ Ive got 60K mile on mine without issue. just make sure you use a piece of steel stock and not a freeze plug....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts