Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6L truck I want to sell the engine and 5 speed torque shift and transfer case out of and swap in my 7.3 and zf6. Any experienced swappers out there? I'm accepting offers on the '05 parts I just mentioned.

thanks
chris

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well hopefully someone will chime in soon and help us out!! I know the cummins CR 12v is getting more and more common as a swap in but I like to take the path less traveled with my custom jobs. I also realize power is much easier achieved in the 6L trucks but I'm quite satisfied with my power from the 7.3 with my current mods and just want my big engine in my newer truck. The 05 has under 70k on it while the 99 has 238k on it. The truck itself probably won't last as long as the engine so I'm just looking to do a transplant and see if I can get a million miles on this engine!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why would you take a perfectly working truck and do an engine swap? I'm sure it can be done but it sounds like the ticket to an empty wallet and a headache

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why you say?

Honestly I started this thread hoping for input in the form or assistance or experienced folks with time saving advice. OPINIONS ON MY IDEA WERE NEVER REQUESTED. Regardless I will humor you and answer your question.

1. I have both trucks title in hand already so obviously my wallet is quite comfortable as it is.

2. I like to earn bragging rights by doing difficult things that folks see as next to impossible and impressive when achieved through my own efforts.

3. I posess a significant amount of knowledge of the 7.3, its short-comings, problem areas, AMAZING RELIABILITY WHEN MAINTAINED PROPERLY, and tons of mods already done to that engine.

4. I can get a big chunk of change for the 6L I'll be removing to use for the boat I want to buy for my family.

Thanks for your input, this is why I want to, now you guys stop criticizing and lets get some good info together and get this done!!

chris

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hey man i dont know what trans you are wanting to go with be it auto or manual?? but if you are wanting to stay with auto trans you might want to look into geting an adapter plate to mate the 5r110 to a 7.3. that would be cool.i remember with my 2000 7.3 that was the giggest downfall only having a 4 speed 4r100.???

·
Registered
443 Posts
Have you thought about swapping interiors and front end along with the front suspension? Then you could just sell the 6.0l truck as running and driving. You would then have your 7.3l and your updated truck!:thumb:

If it's less work or not:dunno:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Powerage, I was originally going to do exactly that but decided an adapter plate and engine swap would be less work! More complicated, but a lot less conversion was my thought.

Originally I wanted to use my 6 speed zf trans in the newer truck but have more recently been considering keeping the auto since that much less would have to come out of the truck to complete the swap. You have to admit, thats going to be pretty effing cool and like was mentioned above, the 4 speed auto wasn't a great trans but supposedly the 5 speed auto is. Does that relate back to a modded 7.3 having an appetite for clutch packs and the 6L being a more trans friendly engine? Who knows at this point but I am getting closer and closer to chosing to be the first to see how it holds up against my mildly modded 7.3 powersmoker.

Pretty much I figure on swapping the engine, complete under hood harness (less the light wiring probably), IDM, ECM then using the adapter plate to mate the engine to the trans.

After that the nightmare of convincing the instrument cluster and signal from the ignition on the collar to work with the swap begins. Here is where I'm going to either spend a lot of time tracing wires and doing tons of test light probes, or where someone with intimate knowledge of the wiring schematic in the newer models chimes in and makes my day!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts