Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at adding the Banks Speedbrake to my 6.0, Banks Power says I have to use a tuner with it, my mechanic says if I add a turner I will be paying him $7000 to replace my head studs and gasket when the tow truck brings it in.

I don't really want the tuner, I have enough go power, I just want some slowing power when I tow my 18,000 5er.

Any feedback is appreciated on the Speedbrake.

·
Registered
210 Posts
First of all $7000 is highway robbery for just heads studs. Second of all some 6.0's blow head gaskets bone stock nothing ever done to them. My two cents would be to get guages to monitor, so you know before you melt your pistons and then go for a tuner! Most folks on here say SCT tuners only, but I love my Bully Dog so whatever you could score a deal on!

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
Used responsibly, a tuner is not that likely to cause any problems. If you abuse the power, then your mechanic is right, even if he is expensive. Black06stroke is right about the monitor. You'll want to make sure your engine is healthy before adding a tuner.

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,069 Posts
Get an sct for a tow tune, and aome upgraded brakes, you can replace pads a lot cheaper than what a jake brake could cause in damage

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
Pretty sure that some of the custom tuners can add jake brake capability to an otherwise stock or tow specific tune. I think it's an option in my X4 on the canned tunes, but I may be remembering wrong. I have been running mild custom tunes and an ATLAS 40 FICM tune for the past 35k miles on stock headbolts. The only "mechanical" upgrades I have done are a BPD EGR cooler, the blue spring fuel regulator update, the updated turbo drain and supply lines and a Stage 1.5 turbo (stocker failed so why not upgrade a bit).

Also, while it's not a jake brake per se, my MPD tune seems to bring the downshifts in a lot quicker when in tow/haul mode.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I think the Tow/Haul mode on these trucks, even stock, works quite well. If you want a true exhaust brake check with Pacbrake.

Reactions: Mcrafty1

·
Registered
214 Posts
First off, $7,000 is not that bad of a price for someone else that knows what they are doing to do head studs, gaskets and the like on your truck. Everyone has value when they do their job well. If it is too much for you to pay, learn how to do it yourself OR find a shade tree guy to do it cheaper. You will probably have to do it again then but, it will be less money, first.

I spent that twice, once for my F250 and again for an Excursion. I thought it was very well priced. I did get a water pump, blue spring upgrade, o ringed heads, aluminum radiators, coolant bypass filters, tuners and a bunch of other stuff that is too long a list to put out there, but, I had it done. I thought it was worth the money so I had it done. When I get in either of my 6.0L vehicles I have 0% worries, 0%. I run tunes all the way up to +85hp and can run coal, smoke the tires all I want.

At any rate, get a tuner that has monitoring capabilities. I use the Edge Evolution (pn# 15002 & 15003) and love them for their monitoring capabilities. As someone said, the tow/haul function is amazing on these trucks, amazing. If you want more, and go to a "jake brake" I am not sure that that won't put a bit more stress on the engine than the tunes will.

I ran a 100hp tune for a year and a half on my F250 and the heads stayed together. No towing, not too much hotrodding.
Monitor and enjoy.......

·
Registered
210 Posts
First off, $7,000 is not that bad of a price for someone else that knows what they are doing to do head studs, gaskets and the like on your truck. Everyone has value when they do their job well. If it is too much for you to pay, learn how to do it yourself OR find a shade tree guy to do it cheaper. You will probably have to do it again then but, it will be less money, first.

I spent that twice, once for my F250 and again for an Excursion. I thought it was very well priced. I did get a water pump, blue spring upgrade, o ringed heads, aluminum radiators, coolant bypass filters, tuners and a bunch of other stuff that is too long a list to put out there, but, I had it done. I thought it was worth the money so I had it done. When I get in either of my 6.0L vehicles I have 0% worries, 0%. I run tunes all the way up to +85hp and can run coal, smoke the tires all I want.

At any rate, get a tuner that has monitoring capabilities. I use the Edge Evolution (pn# 15002 & 15003) and love them for their monitoring capabilities. As someone said, the tow/haul function is amazing on these trucks, amazing. If you want more, and go to a "jake brake" I am not sure that that won't put a bit more stress on the engine than the tunes will.

I ran a 100hp tune for a year and a half on my F250 and the heads stayed together. No towing, not too much hotrodding.
Monitor and enjoy.......
For that kind of VALUE he must be a mechanic for NASA! Most reputable diesel shops in my area usually charge around 3-4000. My advice is to always do some shopping around if possible in your area. After all theyre working on diesel motors not a space ship!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in California, everything is exspensive here! This guy is a pro, he only works on Ford Diesels, he did my bullet proofing..

I would really like to hear from someone that has experience with a Banks, everyone seems to ditch them, but I don't think they have personal experience with banks. The banks combines shifting and turbo to slow you down, not sure others do both.

and again, I am towing 18,000 lb 5er and don't feel comfortable using the tow/haul going down some of the hills here in California, so I am concerned about driving in The a Rocky Mountains. my F350 is a SRW so my gears are 3.73, not the 4.35 like some of the duallys.

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
From what I understand, and that ain't much, Banks got their start on Cummins engines, so they're not going to get a lot of love from us Ford guys. Also, the early Banks products for Fords did not handle transmission tuning and resulted in a lot of ruined tranny's due to extra power without adjusting shift points and pressures. I believe that has been corrected, but the damage was already done. I think Banks makes quality stuff, but I also think they play on their brand alot. Kinda like Apple, Levi's or IBM. All make quality products, but is it really worth what they want you to pay for it.

7k for studs and gaskets is high no matter where you are. If that includes head work or replacement and other upgrades, then maybe it's plausible.

I know you want to hear from Bamks users and I hope you get some feedback, but I haven't seen many Banks guys on this forum.

Lastly, and not trying to be a jerk, but if you're hauling an 18k 5er, you may want to consider moving up to a DRW with a little more gear.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
I've been on here long time and I've been towing heavy even longer. I think banks stuff is ok but not for towing 18k, you can't have much timing (cylinder pressure) added. Best you can do is a"heavy" tow tune. I run PHP "heavy" tow which only adds about 40HP,it's all you can do grossing 25k +. As far as jake brake, skip it towing heavy. Trucks built with it have heavier valves and equipment. I'm likeyou, going down hill in tow haul, it will downshift and still accelerate. I'll shut off tow haul when RPMs get above 4k, I tried the jake brake tune, in that instance it was boosting near 30+ of negative backpressure, and I threw codes. Hauling heavy, skip it. Most guys towing 16' bayliner Capris saying how well jake brake works, different world.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For that kind of VALUE he must be a mechanic for NASA! Most reputable diesel shops in my area usually charge around 3-4000. My advice is to always do some shopping around if possible in your area. After all theyre working on diesel motors not a space ship!
They don't do all of that for 3-4000. One thing that is paramount when looking at value: Make sure you compare apples to apples. Not apples to peanuts.....

·
Administrator
23,538 Posts
But why? I have not heard one single person to have first hand experience. It's all hear say.
Funny thing about hear say... You either learn from others, or on your own the hard way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought a 6-Gun with speed brake for my Excursion. I have no complaints as of yet. 6k is the heaviest I've towed with it and hauled a gross weight of about 12k. So far worked as advertised. When I first got it, I was playing around with it empty on a very steep hill doing about 20 on wet pavement. When I kicked it in on high the back tires broke free and slid a second.

We did about 2000 mile ride trip and the Speed Brake work amazingly. Set the CC and the speed brake speed about 5 over and it would keep me at that speed all the way down the hill.

I am in the process of buying a toyhauler so I will update ya'll when I drag it around for a while.

On a side note I installed a cat back 4" on my dads 03 F350 and a turbo back cat delete on my 04 Ex. He absolutely loves it. It allowed him to hold a gear longer be fore having to down shift. His only complain is how quiet it is. I think we will add the down pipe and cat delete soon.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
They don't do all of that for 3-4000. One thing that is paramount when looking at value: Make sure you compare apples to apples. Not apples to peanuts.....
All what? Studs and gaskets? Yes, they do. If you paid $7k for studs and gaskets (and especially did it for two trucks)... how do I put this nicely... you made a huge mistake.

OP, use tow/haul, it works great (free). Get an SCT, use the canned tow tunes and adjust the options (jake brake, aggressive tow/haul, etc.) or a custom tune ($400). They will provide engine braking through transmission tuning and adjusting the VGT turbo, just like the Banks. Or, go with the Banks (over $700 with iQ). I think PowerStrokedRedneck is the first person I've ever seen with the Banks Speedbrake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought a 6-Gun with speed brake for my Excursion. I have no complaints as of yet. 6k is the heaviest I've towed with it and hauled a gross weight of about 12k. So far worked as advertised. When I first got it, I was playing around with it empty on a very steep hill doing about 20 on wet pavement. When I kicked it in on high the back tires broke free and slid a second.

We did about 2000 mile ride trip and the Speed Brake work amazingly. Set the CC and the speed brake speed about 5 over and it would keep me at that speed all the way down the hill.

I am in the process of buying a toyhauler so I will update ya'll when I drag it around for a while.

On a side note I installed a cat back 4" on my dads 03 F350 and a turbo back cat delete on my 04 Ex. He absolutely loves it. It allowed him to hold a gear longer be fore having to down shift. His only complain is how quiet it is. I think we will add the down pipe and cat delete soon.
Thanks for the feedback! I can't wait to hear your report when you get a heavy trailer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts