Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to sack up and do this mod. I wanted the Harley headlights but I hate the amber lens that is stuck between the signal light and headlight. SO...I waited till the ball and chain was gone and destroyed the kitchen.:poster:

Following the instructions posted several places, and using a combination/variation of each; I cooked my headlight housings and painted them.

Sorry about the dirty truck we are still digging out from the recent snow and my truck is not car wash friendly being that the tallest one around here is 7ft.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Pain in the Posterior

After reading several posts, and a little trial and error, I learned that putting the headlight assembly into the oven (preheated to 250 deg) for about 10 minutes it softens the bonding agent between the backing and the lens enough to start prying it apart.

If there is enough call for it I will sit down and post the steps I took to do this. I am by no means the originator of this process, i just took aspects of what others did and adapted it for my truck.:thumb:

There are three or four other guys that have done this mod and met with mixed results...... Mostly condensation is a problem if you don't seal the housing properly. :doh:

·
Registered
490 Posts
They look good! get some pics from a little ways away from your rig so we can see how they look!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
They look sweet. I would think that would make them illegal now though wouldn't it?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
they look good..i did that to my headlights in another car. my parents werent too happy about headlights in the oven..i tried taking about my SD headlights, i wanted to remove the amber right, its molded into the headlight

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please Excuse the Dirt......

Not sure if the Pic insertion worked properly :doh:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Illegal....Probably

The amber lens/reflector is attached to the inner molding piece (the part i painted black) with three allen screws. I called a ford dealer to see if i could get the clear ones from the E-series vans but they don't sell it separately. SO I painted the amber lens black and and bolted it together.

As for the legality :moon:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not sure if the Pic insertion worked properly :doh:
your truck looks really good. i've been trying to find pics of someone with the XL grill and harley lights to decide if i wanna get an XLT grill or keep my XL grill and add harley lights. well i'm decided now. harley lights it is. even though i've got an 07 with a different front end i know it will look good now. Now i just need to get the black piece on the bumper under the grill(part you dont have) painted to match the truck. *runs off to a body shop after work*

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

It took almost all day but I think it paid off.....

If i wasn't so cheep I would have just bought the Harley one from ford but I would have had to deal with the amber lens. :doh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
E-Series

Nope..... Won't Fit. I think the Hood and fender lines are different.

I wanted only the small lens portion of the E-series light that would replace my amber lens. Not the whole thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just say "NO" to Chrome

the headlights look awesome.. but why did u get rid of the chrome grille?!

Decided to black out the truck. Probably going to Line-X the front and rear bumpers next. Then get some Recon accessories.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Process .....

EvilTwins, Do you have any links to the cooking process of the headlights or any helpful hints?
If Ur interested I will Post a Write up.... I will just need a few hours to get some crap done and then I can take my time and be specific. :nod:

So you no longer have a turn signal on the front of your truck?
The turn signal portion is the upper light, the amber reflector lens is only a marker light and does not flash. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts