Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7.3l . Its hard to start without plugging it up. After its started and warmed up it runs fine. We did the injector test and some sounded good and some of them sounded weak so I had them flushed. Need help.

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah, ive got a 7.3 as well and its not too bad but some days even when the weather isnt cold out (maybe around 50-60) i will still get a slow start.

id like to know the answer as well

^bump

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The normal thing would be batteries and battery cables.Worn injectors cause hard starting.

With the 7.3L the oil could be a problem.

Oil pressure may not be building up fast enough on the cold start. No high pressure oil, no fuel injected.

Air bubbles build up in oil at high pressure. The pressure is around 3000 psi. If the oil is not the right type or has depleted additives it will foam up under pressure.

Change oil at 3000 to 5000 miles. Use the right kind.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
What I do when I have to work all night and can't plug my truck in is I turn on the key and leave it on for 2 minutes so the glow plugs heat up the cylinders very well. The 99 and up 7.3 glow plug system stays on alot long than the older systems. Give this a try and let us know how this works.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If it has a lot of white smoke after it starts then you probably have a problem with the glow plug system.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Cycle the key on wait til you hear the fuel pump shut off (about 35 seconds) and then re-do that cycle 2-3-4 times. It starts just like it was plugged in for me!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I have a 7.3l . Its hard to start without plugging it up. After its started and warmed up it runs fine. We did the injector test and some sounded good and some of them sounded weak so I had them flushed. Need help.
Got any info on your truck? year, miles, any mods done to it that might affect it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts