Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 with 40,000 miles on it, and when I let it sit over night or all day while at work it is very hard to start. It will crank for a long time before it will actually start. However, if I drive the truck for a while, shut it off, and then try to start it, it will start just fine. It doesn't sound like it is having a hard time cranking at all, but cranks a long time before it will start when the engine is cold. I recently had the fuel filter changed the problem stopped for about a week and then came back. Anybody have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any ideas? :dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it quit after a fuel filter Id keep changing them till u get all the junk out of your tank or drain your tank but that can be a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
270 Posts
subcribed, I have the same issue. I got the truck in March from my son and I could start it with my remote great then. now I have to try 3 times on average, but only when the truck is cold like over night. I dont have issues after work, it starts right up. I know the filters and oil are current. I have hooked mine up to my AE but have not really seen anything there. Where are you located? I am in Houston Texas with the morning average has been ~72 or higher...I don't think it is glowplug issue...

·
Registered
119 Posts
subscribed
I'm having the same issue. Just did injectors, glow plugs, IPR, ICP, CPS, cleaned turbo, egr delete. Ran the recomeneded "spirited drive" to clear the air. Truck ran great last weekend. Parked it all week, went to start it yesterday and it wouldn't start. Once it starts its goodfor the rest of the day. Tried again this morning and it won't start again.
New filters, Motorcraft oil no codes. Mid to high 50's overnite.
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
same prob hope someone smarter than us can chime in lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
How is your voltage? Is it cranking over fast or is it kind of chugging. Cycle the glow plugs a couple times before you start it? That might turn it over a bit quicker?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The voltage is good. And most of the time it does crank normally but occasionally it will chug. I have tried cycling the glow plugs a few times and it doesn't seem to help any.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Get your batteries load tested FIRST. They can go down so slowly that you never notice them going bad. Just because the voltage is good doesn't mean squat. it's all about AMPS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my batteries and it turned out that the driver side battery was bad. After buying a new battery I had thought that the problem was fixed, but when I tried to start the truck to go to work this morning it still cranked for a long time before starting. The only difference was that it cranked faster but took just as long to start. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would check your glow plug module. It sounds like either an electrical problem or something to do with fuel delivery. Change your fuel filters and have some one take a look see at your glow plugs. Or plug the truck in for a bit then try to start it.

·
Another 6Slow
429 Posts
yeah i am having the same exact problem and cant figure it out its fine in the summer but once it starts to get cold the truck just doesnt want to start and has to crank for a long time before it turns over and its got an airdog in it thats about 3 weeks old so fuel isnt the problem

·
Registered
270 Posts
I changed my oil to synthetic and it made a world of difference for about 2 weeks, it is still better but but getting slower to start again. I also ended up have to swap both batteries but this has not help with slow start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same problem here. Filter are all current. Good voltage. Only gettin in the 50's in the mornings so it's not glow plugs though I do cycle them every morning. Genereally takes 4 seconds or so of cranking to start. Wish I could find some help for this. Only other thing I can think is rings are bad so it's not creating the compression it needs to ignite with the cooler air

·
Registered
256 Posts
Leak in your HPOP system? Mine would do the same thing but got real bad when taking a trip when the leak got bigger. WHen you can't generate enough pressure in the high pressure system, the fuel will not get delivered to the injectors until it reaches a certain pressure. When mine was cold, it would not start but would eventually after 5-10 mins of trying. Had to have the entire top part of the engine and transmission removed to replace click-to-fit fittings on the HPOP manifold along with the manifold and the rear engine cover which got cracked because of it flopping around in there. Not saying this is what's wrong with yours, but it might be something to look at...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just replaced hoop myself bout a month ago because of no cranking. After I replaced it, it acted fine til the trmpature dropped bout 20 degrees into the 50's

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I finally got mine into the dealer for the starting problem. They say that it is a problem in the glow plug module and also a leak in the HPOP system. Susposed to be done tomorrow so we will see if that works.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mine did this when the FICM went bad, the only difference is that once it would finally start it would run real rough and smoke like crazy. But then like you said once it warmed up it was good all day. Then the next day after it sits ..... the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit a hard start / long crank or no start condition due to low injection control pressure (ICP) usually resulting in a high pressure oil leak, since you might not have the dealer software to comand IPR shut to perform a high pressure oil leak test, i would recommend removing both valve covers and at your high pressure oil rail youll find two stand pipes usually the front or closest to you is the plug at fault, they are screwed down into the rail and have two "o" rings, these "o" rings tend to wear out and leak causing low ICP pressure, the 6.0L requires 500psi of base pressure to fire each injector if this psi is not met the vehicle will not start, to me it looks like your best bet would be to take your vehicle to your nearest ford dealer since your truck is only a 2007 with 40k miles should be covered through your base warranty 5years 100k miles, but for you guys with similar concern or do it yourselfers this might be a great learning experience. :thumb:

·
Another 6Slow
429 Posts
i have had mine into ford twice now and the teck says it's something in the HPOP system so he tore it all apart and can't find anything he said just to run it til it gets worse, you would think that ford would be able to figure it out since it's not just me with the problem

1 - 20 of 31 Posts