Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my truck began to struggle to start when the temps drop below 20 or so and sometimes it wont start until the temps warm up later in the day. Im getting ready to replace the blockheater but it always started without the heater in very cold temps.

The alternator and batteries are 2 years old so those should still be good but I was wondering if a weak starter could be causing this, or Glow plugs?

What should I check first?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,562 Posts
Check for codes

Verify EOT is accurate at ambient conditions (EOT, ECT, TFT, IAT should all be approximately the same after the engine has been off for 10-12 hours).

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
That ^^^. ...and tell us your FICM voltage during a cold start.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I agree. Whatever you have going on, it will probably show up in trouble codes or on the monitor itself. It could be something as simple as a few glow plugs not working.

k

·
5,562 Posts
Also, since you ask about a weak starter, you need 150 rpm to start. You normally should be at 180 rpm IMO.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check codes when I have a minute.

The ambient temps seem normal. What would a problem with the ambient temps look like ?

I haven't checked FICM voltage lately but it was good last time I checked.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Really wish people would state the year of the truck and any major mods in the Opening Post

I need more coffee

The glow plug controller should report if there are bad glow plugs -- no codes? -- then the controller is bad

·
5,562 Posts
Multiple glow plug codes : 2,4,5,6 Since they are on both sides, I am going to guess the GPCM.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Multiple glow plug codes : 2,4,5,6 Since they are on both sides, I am going to guess the GPCM.

Thanks a lot man, I wasnt sure.

Any brand or specific model I should be looking for?

I will check some connections and make sure thats all well and good.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
The connections in the harness plugs at the GCPM can burn -- pop the colored terminal protectors off an look closely -- may need the harnesses

O'course you could just have burned out glow plugs

pulling the inner fender liner helps a lot when replacing glow plugs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts