Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Excursion with the 7.3, it has a really hard time starting when cold, unless the temperature is about 50 degrees or above it will crank it but it won't start, and I just have to cycle the key several times while trying to start in between each time and then it'll finally start maybe after about the fifth or sixth time, and then it blows out white smoke and then clears up after a few seconds, my question is how do I know if it's maybe the UVC harness that's bad, or if it's the glow plug control module, which from what I hear on the excursions is a California set up, so it's not the starter solenoid looking thing like on Super Duties, and I've heard that they rarely go bad, and I really don't want to spend $200 on the chance that that's not it, or replacing the UVC harness also if that's not it, all my connections are tight, I'm just looking for some advice on how to check either one of those or maybe if it's something

·
Premium Member
10,661 Posts
Generally speaking without codes and at the vehicles age its safe to say replace all 8 glow plugs and the UVCH at minimum. then if the cold start issues persist research the glow plug control module testing procedures before spending $$$ on replacing that. 99.9% more than one glow plug is not working and still would test a false positive with the regular ohm test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally speaking without codes and at the vehicles age its safe to say replace all 8 glow plugs and the UVCH at minimum. then if the cold start issues persist research the glow plug control module testing procedures before spending $$$ on replacing that. 99.9% more than one glow plug is not working and still would test a false positive with the regular ohm test.
I forgot to mention that I've tested all the glow plugs and they are all within spec, so I guess my next step is replace the uvc harnesses, is there a way to test the controller?

·
Premium Member
10,661 Posts
I forgot to mention that I've tested all the glow plugs and they are all within spec, so I guess my next step is replace the uvc harnesses, is there a way to test the controller?

If those are the original glow plugs I can 99% guarantee you one or more is giving you a false positive reading. (the failing glow plugs or faulty GPCM is causing the white smoke when its finally starting) Again with the information you provided and since you will already have the valve covers off. order 8 new OEM Motorcraft glow plugs like $80, two UVCH maybe like $40-60 each and start there. Since you do not have codes I would not go as far as replacing the GPCM but this should help with the GPCM testing: Wood-N-Things - Glow Plug System

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.