Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but not to diesels. I've had many including a couple of semi trucks with Mack and Cummins engines. I currently have a 2004 Excursion with 191M miles on it. Runs, looks and drives as if it has 40M. My only issue is that it seems to need just a little encouragement to start, but only once the engine is warmed up. If I hold the accelerator pedal down about 1/3 of the way, it seems to help. It does start, but it just doesn't bark to life like others I've owned. Starts cold just fine. I haven't had this very long. I bought it from a Ford diesel mechanic who owned it since new. You can tell by how it looks and runs that he took very good care of it. Even has the red Caterpillar ELC in it. He says he replaced all of the injectors less than a year ago, but I don't know what else he had done. Runs awesome, NO smoke of any kind, NO leaks and I get 18MPG on the highway. Anything particular I should keep an eye out for?

1,023 Posts
Only hot it doesnt start as crisply as you believe it should?
Possibilities are-High pressure oil leak beginning FICM and if it has an aftermarket oil filter and cap. STICK with ford only! Do not get aftermarket filters or caps. Ive owners bring thier trucks in on a flat bed. Change the oil and filter and cap fire right up. Or lack of power, intermittent missfires, intermittent no starts. Screw with base engine oil pressure and you just screwed your high pressure oil system.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Only hot it doesnt start as crisply as you believe it should?
Possibilities are-High pressure oil leak beginning FICM and if it has an aftermarket oil filter and cap. STICK with ford only! Do not get aftermarket filters or caps. Ive owners bring thier trucks in on a flat bed. Change the oil and filter and cap fire right up. Or lack of power, intermittent missfires, intermittent no starts. Screw with base engine oil pressure and you just screwed your high pressure oil system.
I broke the "boss" on my secondary fuel filter cap, I was recommend a billet fuel filter cap???? no on that too?

1,023 Posts
I broke the "boss" on my secondary fuel filter cap, I was recommend a billet fuel filter cap???? no on that too?
If it doesnt mess with fuel pressure, i dont see any harm in it. See with the oil filters they dont seat on the bypass valve enough or too much causing it to not feed the high pressure oil system PROPERLY emphasis on Properly. It may supply some may supply none. I am not a fan of the aftermarket filter/cap set up. IF the aftermarket companies like car quest, fram, napa, so on so forth actually researched these engines and designed a compatible filter to stock motorcraft in both flow and filtering abilities and quality... And im a GM guy by nature so if you ever hear me say that ford has something of quality or longevity it REALLY means something.

Ive seen aftermarket filters implode and clog up the whole entire lubrication and high pressure oil system and cause failure, ive seen aftermarket filters cause no starts, hard starts, miss fires you name it. all from a simple 18 dollar filter...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just did change the oil and if anything, it seems a little better than it did. I'll use a MotorCraft filter on the next change. This one I used a Purolator, so at least it's not some China Special no-name. What is REALLY stunning to me, is that the Ford tech that I bought this from actually uses Purolator filters instead of the MotorCraft, AT THE FORD DEALER! Says they have more filter media in them than the MotorCraft, but you are not the first person I've heard preferring the MotorCraft filters. It does have the stock filter cap. I used 15W40 Rotella T, which I used in my Peterbilt. I always used to use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it as well and that Cummins N14 sounded very happy. I have not used Lucas in this PowerStroke yet. I know that they are a little fussy and I don't want to screw anything up. Anyone have any experience with Lucas in these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts