Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this one has me a bit baffled. the truck has an almost brand new rebuilt engine in it with no issues for the first 400 miles and couple weeks of driving (breaking it in). and now, the past couple mornings after sitting overnight, the engine cranks forever and puffs white smoke. then randomly, after maybe the 3rd of 4th time of trying to start it, it will fire up and run great. the first cranking time, it trips over like it wants to run then just cranks and cranks. i can leave the key on for many minutes while doing things on AE (well past glow plug cycle) then try and start it. again after the 3rd or 4th time trying it'll go. it's not that cold either (65 F when I tried this morning). here are the things AE reported and what i have checked:
- batteries are fairly new and charged (cranks quickly)
- ICP pressure while cranking gets up to 2500 while cranking
- unplugging ICP sensor has no effect when it wont start
- when it does start, ICP spikes to 800-900 at first start then runs at 510-525 at idle
- ICP duty cycle @ idle = 5.5 (700 rpm idle) [this seems a bit off to me]
- GPR is working (tested) (11.4V at GP side of relay)
- engine has ~400 miles on rebuild
- GPs are brand new (with new engine)
- valve cover gaskets are brand new
- UVCHs are brand new
- injectors have less than 700 miles on them
- no codes found with AE (when new engine was first run it did have a "ICP higher than expected", but has not reappeared since)

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
On a cold start, in the morning, take the plug out of the top of the HPOP reservoir and see where the oil level is. It should be within an inch of the top, and if very low or empty, could need the extended cranking to refill.

Do you see the 2500 when it's cranking for the first time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil level in the HPOP res is right where it should be (~1"). Yesterday the thing almost fired right up. Today it did the same thing. Took a long time cranking and only produced white smoke. 3rd time (again at a seemingly random time......while cranking) it started. Seemed to smoke a lil bit while warming up as well.

This morning I saw a spike to 3000 and fairly consistant at 2200-2300 while cranking. Duty cycle was in the 20s. I see those number close to right away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wrench-head, did you get it figured out? I have a 99 with 214,000 miles doing the same thing. Slow to start in morning (mid 60s), white smoke, and runs great/starts great the rest of the day. I don't have all the diagnostic stuff you have, but sounds closely related to the problems you were having. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have not. it's not consistant. yesterday (60s) i put in a new stancor GPR because the old one worked off and on. but i knew that wasn't the whole issue, because we have 3 other trucks with 7.3L and they will start without even letting the glow plugs warm it up. i've tried it before and again today and it's not even 50 degrees yet. they will crank slightly longer but fire up with a puff of white and then run fine. anyway, after the GPR was in i tried to start it. popped right off with minimal smoke and ran great. weird. this morning (again not 50 yet) the first time it cranked and cranked 7-8 seconds and puffed white smoke. second time cranking it fired off within 2 seconds and then blue smoke at idle. wanted to see how long the smoke would last so i immediately took it for a drive. not 50 yards down the driveway, smoke was gone and runs great.......goes like a raped ape really. again, this is a brand new engine (long block). injectors have less than 2000 miles on them. truck ran fantastic when new engine went in and for just over 1000 miles now. only diagnostic thing that seems off is the IPR duty cycle is 5 or less at idle. beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a bit of an update and new thing. past few days it starts fairly well (40-50s). smokes blue way too much tho. if you give it some pedal, it will hardly do anything (rev up) until it gets warm. anyone seen this issue before. i'm not sure how this thing can run like a top for 1000+ miles and NOW develop these issues. help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thought on this. Maybe you have already checked it. But what about the Crank Position Sensor? I have had the exact same problem in another type of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is it possible for the EBPV to be closed all the way and not letting the engine push through enough air to start? I would assume (but have no evidence) that the EBPV would close after the engine has started but not before.

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
915 Posts
I would think injector O rings but I could rule that out with 2000 miles on the injectors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts