Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a long start problem with my 2003. It started within the last few weeks since my arrival here in Gainesville, FL. After a cold soak, my truck has a hard time starting. When I go to start it, I turn it to on and let it sit for 10-15 seconds or so (like always) and then proceed to crank. In my hometown this normally yielded a start after 2 seconds or so. Currently it takes more than 5 seconds and often times requires a second try to start. When it starts it spews out a big cloud of white smoke which shows I am getting fuel.

For the longest time I have been getting two DTCs for my glow plug module and one (P0272) for cylinder#4 contribution test fail or low. I replaced my GPCM this morning and I am still seeing the issue. It seems to have gotten better because it fires right up on the second try to start. Both of my batteries and cables are brand new with 1000cca IIRC. My FICM KOEO reads 48v sometimes temporarily hits 47.5 for a brief second and acts the same upon cranking. After crank idle voltage reads 47 at the lowest and when driving it will stay at 47 up every once in a while hit 46.5v. I don't feel that it is the FICM. I replaced the ICP sensor a couple months ago when I did the EGR delete but not the pigtail. I am running 5W40 Full Synthetic Rotella oil with two bottles of Rev-x to help with a prior stiction problem that has sense gone away a few months ago. When the truck is warmed up a little it starts right up like it should and it runs great all of the time, no bucking or rough idle.

I can not think of anything else that would cause this and i would really like to fix this problem. Please any help or useful suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm no pro but I would monitor your icp it should get 500. Try and unplug your icp sensor, it should go to a default 950ish on your icp. If that is all good, I would be looking at a fuel issue, maybe filters or Ficm.
If it is your Ficm, it will get worse. Mine did the same thing, I don't think ficms go out all of a sudden. They slowly get worse. I'm no pro though. Good luck

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Op, I suspect you have a bad injector, white smoke is overfueling. Is it constant? Overfueling is not good, cracked injector tip is possible. Do you have the blue spring upgrade?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
could also be the dummy plugs on the injector rails. if all the icp is good and we rule out injectors check that

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it decided overnight that it wanted to work like it should because the last two days it started good with no white smoke so we will see.

I'm no pro but I would monitor your icp it should get 500. Try and unplug your icp sensor, it should go to a default 950ish on your icp. If that is all good, I would be looking at a fuel issue, maybe filters or Ficm.
If it is your Ficm, it will get worse. Mine did the same thing, I don't think ficms go out all of a sudden. They slowly get worse. I'm no pro though. Good luck
I checked my ICP when cranking and it shot up to 3.5V which is a lot of PSI lol. So I know the sensor is good. Its just the pigtail that concerns me. The FICM is starting to worry me because it never used to fluctuate at all and now it seems to be getting slowly worse. So that might fix most my problems.

Op, I suspect you have a bad injector, white smoke is overfueling. Is it constant? Overfueling is not good, cracked injector tip is possible. Do you have the blue spring upgrade?

I think I may have a problem on cylinder 4 because of the DTC but that supposedly can even be related to a bent pushrod but it didn't start till after the egr delete and we never touched the heads...
Yes I have the blue spring, just need a cheep way to watch fuel pressure...

could also be the dummy plugs on the injector rails. if all the icp is good and we rule out injectors check that
How would I check those?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You dont have dummy plugs and standpipes. Your icp readings are good anyways. Icp plug should be inspected if your reading start looking bad.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You dont have dummy plugs and standpipes. Your icp readings are good anyways. Icp plug should be inspected if your reading start looking bad.

I don't know enough on the fuel system to know what I have and don't have yet lol. I have a lot more learning to do. Thanks for all your help southend. you seem to post on every problem that I have lol.

Edit - How hard is it to get to the #4 injector to inspect it?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I don't know enough on the fuel system to know what I have and don't have yet lol. I have a lot more learning to do. Thanks for all your help southend. you seem to post on every problem that I have lol.

Edit - How hard is it to get to the #4 injector to inspect it?
Welcome, #4 is pretty easy one to get to. Honestly I watched the video from the srmastertech, he's got some good videos. The 03-early 04 are a little different. Make sure you have a good torx bit to get the injector in and out, I broke one trying to torque the injector, luckily I didn't lose the piece down one of the holes. Stuff rags around the holes to keep from losing chit. Also I was able to carefully use two screwdrivers to get the stc fitting lose from the oil rail.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
lol wow shows how much reading i did... didnt even notice his truck was a 2003.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hehe, happens to me all the time.:D

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I would look into ficm. a failing ficm can make injectors look bad

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would look into ficm. a failing ficm can make injectors look bad

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
True, early model ficms can drop one injector at a time. Ficm logic board, even if voltages look ok.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do it a lot to so no worries lol

True, early model ficms can drop one injector at a time. Ficm logic board, even if voltages look ok.

How would I go about ruling that out then? Would I just have to send it off and get it fixed to really know if it is the issue or are there cheaper options?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am having an identical problem with my 2004. The troubleshooting points to my ficm. but not sure where too send it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
ficmrepair.com

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i hear people initially had no complaints with them but then i hear later on the repairs didnt last and that some poeple had long extended wait times and some people just got scammed to begin with. from what i understand not very many people use them anymore but i may be wrong maybe they righted their issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, ficmrepair.com is the way to go in that respect.

But a 2003 6.0 is a perfect candidate for a bottle of Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator with an oil change before spending any more $. I'm surprised you've made it to 300k without injector issues, and hard/cold starts are at the top of their symptom list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts