Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hard Decisions

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  APEowner 
My '95 F350 has dual tanks, and to my knowledge, the standard tow capacity for these make trucks is 10,000 lbs. (I've towed more, and I'm sure others have too). Gotta say, I love the OBS trucks, but I also like the NBS trucks too. I myself am very partial to the 7.3L/ T444E, I just love it.

As for insurance, the OBS truck "should" cost a little less due to age of the vehicle. But the NBS truck, being extended cab, would provide a sedan discount due to multiple doors. Check around with different companies, and get quotes for both trucks.

Shocks are insanely easy to change. If you don't encounter any issues anywhere, all 4 could easy be changed out in 30 min. or so. (providing of course you have the "few" tools required.

I beleive all the OBS trucks (at least the PSD ones) have tranny coolers. I'd look into hardware to properly mount it though. (no big deal though)

If you get the OBS, open up the intake and exhaust, and you'll really thank yourself.(the cat is a waste, and just creates extra, undue load/ backpressure)

The previous owner could have either taken the truck to the dealership for his oil changes, or he could have done it himself. You can get Ford Motorcraft oil filters and Ford Motorcraft oil at Auto Zone.

Mods......well.........the NBS trucks have a few more simple "bolt on" goodies available than the OBS trucks to. But, when it's all stripped away, it's really the same motor. (and a darn good one at that) A few "strategic" upgrades (i.e. new intake and new exhaust) will open up the motor, increase it's efficiency, and allow it to breath, and not have to fight itself just to run. Both the intake and exhaust can be done inexpensively, and are sort of the "starting points".

dieseladdiction11- had some TRULY EXCELLENT advice. Take this into strong consideration. Also, don't be in a "rush". Be patient, and the right truck will find you.

Hope all this helps.

mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.