Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having a wierd issue with my new to me 6.0. When the truck is cold (relatively of course since it's 90 out) it takes longer to start (It just seems to crank longer than a couple of friends of mine with 6.0's). After it warms up it cranks right over. When starting I always wait for the glowplug light to go out. I have installed a Scangauge II and have been monotoring the voltages and what not. I did find that my alternator was bad and just replaced it and trickle charged the batteries all day. Went to start it and the same thing.

I have monitored the FICM voltages and they are where they should be as well as the ICP, IPR, and HPOP.......Everything within spec. New alternator is putting out what it should also.

I'm at a loss here. I guess its not a real problem but it just doesn't seem right. The truck always starts.

Any ideas what else I can check??????

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It cranks fine...just takes a bit longer to fire off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was starting to feel like the lone ranger here....lololol :dunno:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll chime in here on this one too. I recently purchased an 06 a couple of months ago and mine does the same thing you are referring too. I was searching on here to see what might cause this.

I have checked everything you have originally listed in the start. Mine starts great during the day, but that first start up after it has set for a while, typically overnight, it takes at least 4 - 5 seconds for it to start, but runs great after that.

I'm just curious is it something I need to be concerned with.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what my concern is too. Just preparing in case something is getting ready to go South. Its almost like its not getting fuel at first. I've even tried cycling the key a few times. I also read to try it without waiting for the glowplug light to go out like a gasser. Still the same.

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya i have been noticing the same thing on my truck. I bought my 06 a couple months ago, and it tends to crank over hard in the morning...longer than i think it should. I plan on putting a block heater in it for the winter, and possibly some aftermarket glow plugs to see if that helps to fix the problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
at least its not just one truck then. lol.

maybe one of us will figure something out or will hear something from someone on here that knows what to look for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
me also

I am having pretty much the same problem. Mine seems to be getting worse every day. Anyone hear that high pressure oil seal could cause this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
From what I understand (and I could be wrong), hopefully somebody else will chime in: It's a bad injector.

I start up hard in the morning and idle rough. Then once it warms up, it smoooooths out and everything is nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine doesn't run rough after it starts. It runs great. It typically takes 4 - 5 secs to start in the morning. Other starts during the day may vary slightly, but nothing longer than 2 secs or maybe a hair longer, just not quite 3.

I have heard about the seal leaking at the HPOP, but I just had mine in for a warranty repair on the oil cooler o-ring and they said everything else looked great.

Another thing I have read is possibly air trapped in the HPOP system and I found a bulletin that said you should do 12 hard accelerations from like 20 mph - 50 mph and see if it fixes the issue. I haven't tried this yet, but I may. The issue is the bulletin led me to believe it would have a hard start all the time, not just in the mornings.

I just stumped on this one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine doesn't run rough after it starts. It runs great. It typically takes 4 - 5 secs to start in the morning. Other starts during the day may vary slightly, but nothing longer than 2 secs or maybe a hair longer, just not quite 3.
This

Same thing here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After setting all night, when I first crank mine will take 5 to 10 seconds cranking sometimes maybe a bit more then it will fire. It runs kinda rough like a miss....in perspective when I say rough its like a gentle miss in one of the cylinders. Apparently the PCM defuels the truck til it warms up cause there is NO power. Once warm the thing purrs like a kitten. No miss, just smooth. Warm starts take 2-3 sec's tops.

Steve

·
Registered
827 Posts
add mine to this list... However I did change from rotella to motorcraft oil and that seemed to help quit a bit.. who knows? I just did the blue spring upgrade and I'm waiting to give it a few times to see if it helps

·
Registered
533 Posts
My 03 had this issue until I switched over to Mobil 5w40 full syn oil. After about a week of running it, my issue cleared up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would say Fat Tony and 4X4ff have stiction issues and need to try Rev-x. Mine also seems to start slow first thing, usually about 4 seconds. usually won't start on my remote start. My theory is that the HP oil system needs that extra second or two in the morning to fill up the oil rails and come up to pressure. I don't have the newer one piece stand pipes, and if I understand right they have a check valve in them to keep the hp oil rails full (if mine have the check valves then they may leak down over night).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just reading over on FTE and came to the same conclusion. They had a topic dealing with stiction and its me to a tee. When I replace my oil cooler this spring I'm planning on also replacing the stc fittings and the standpipes/dummy plugs. I assume with stiction it means I have a(n) injector(s) going bad?? How can I find which one???

Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
strokepower - definitely let us know if the blue spring upgrade helps this issue. I was reading about it and thinking about doing the upgrade anyway, but I would really like to know if it helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FYI- I replaced the fuel pressure spring thinking it might help my problem but I noticed no change at all in the starting of the truck and no real performance change that some of the others have noted.

Steve

1 - 20 of 101 Posts