Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 F350 PSD 4x4, 99K miles.

The other day my son comes home all worked up over having almost T-boned someone that ran a red light. Full on panic stop, missed the car by about 6" he said. He said that afterwards, every time he hit the brakes, it would pull hard left. Went for a test drive and sure enough, it will throw you into the other lane if you aren't ready for it.

I pick up a set of new pads for it, and start with the driver side front. No issues there, replace the pads. Go to the passenger side, and I can't compress the pistons AT ALL. (yes, the cap was off of the MC) OK, problem found, need a new caliper. Figure I'm doing one, might as well do both. Replace both calipers the next evening, start bleeding (2 person method). Note that the passenger side is difficult to bleed, not much pressure there. Finally get them bled, and go for a drive. Same problem, hard yank to the left upon braking, like that side is the only one working.

The back brakes have been non-existent for a while. No pressure is getting through the ABS module. Could the problem in that module have moved to the front passnger side, or is it a MC issue? I'm going to replace the MC this evening in hopes that will solve it.

The pedal in this truck has always been very hard. Is that indicative of a hydroboost issue? May as well replace it at the same time?

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts
So, just to clarify, you have had a brake issue in the rear for a while and you sent the kid out in it.

He slams on the brakes and locks up a caliper... If it were me, I would replace all the lines, calipers, and consider a new hydro.

@[email protected] what do you think? @1Aauto the man may need parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up being something in the ABS pump/ valve assembly. Removed it, and blew 100PSI air back and forth through all the ports and it eventually started flowing properly. Reinstalled, bled it, and now everything works as it should. When I first applied air to the two inlets, the only bit I got out was through the port that feeds the driver front. Bare trickle out of the passenger front, and zero flow through the back. It took several direction changes before stuff loosened up. After we drive it for a week or so, I will rebleed everything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ended up being something in the ABS pump/ valve assembly. Removed it, and blew 100PSI air back and forth through all the ports and it eventually started flowing properly. Reinstalled, bled it, and now everything works as it should. When I first applied air to the two inlets, the only bit I got out was through the port that feeds the driver front. Bare trickle out of the passenger front, and zero flow through the back. It took several direction changes before stuff loosened up. After we drive it for a week or so, I will rebleed everything.
Is this still working out for you ????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts