Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,782 Posts
I have jack stands from Northern Tool and they have a pin to keep the saddle bar locked when extended.
View attachment 767241
Those are nice and a decent price.

Big Red also has that design

and Pro Lift

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I use 2 pair of 12 ton harbor freight stands to hold my 7.3 and 6.0 up. They are tight. In the 70's i bought new Walker stuff that broke. After that I always bought 3 and 6 ton stands from sears along with sears bottle jacks and floor jacks. Never had a problem with sears stuff. Sears had a problem and broke and closed up around here

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not funny...but funny :)

-jokester
99011005_954661811648392_2426710638827929600_n.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I took mine back yesterday. It was a no hassle return.
The last thing I need in my life is a Jack Stand failing.
Thank for posting.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Probably identical with the exception of the pawl.

The NHTSA Recall and from someone who painted the contact issue. There's another photo out there that shows the older units had good contact. NHTSA says 5% failure during the last production, but no one should have to rely on checking this brand themselves. So jack stands, fuses, .......

It would probably be a good idea for anyone with anyone's ratcheting jack stands to paint and check, just like a differential.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.55.07 AM.png

Attachments

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
So my Dad and I both had a pair of the recall stands and I've had mine forever with zero issues. Its crazy how he said he looked closer and found the exact same thing. The lock wasn't getting full contact with the teeth. I wonder if it could be solved by just adding a small metal shim on the opposite side of the teeth to allow fuller contact with the ratchet. Could simply get a piece of flat strap and weld it or get a tiny piece and bend it like a J and let it hang.

I called the nearest store (50 miles away) and they said they'ed hold two pairs. Low and behold one of the younger employees didn't see the note. I got one replacement pair in hand and the other one on order but says 2+ weeks due to demand. Hoping these red ones are just as reliable. The 6 ton on recal I had I found the invoice in my email from 2016. So maybe I just got lucky lol.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
So I bought the Hein-Werner 6 Ton to replace the HF ones. Both rated as 6 ton per pair, but the Hein ones are much beefier....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just bought a set of Esco jack stands. Man these were expensive at about 50 each. They are rated for 6000 lbs each jack stand. I bought them because the circular pads are perfect for my SUV and car with uni-body frames.

Its way overkill for my cars but I am looking to purchase the conventional saddles (next photo) or just take the pads off the ones I have now to use with my truck.

They are solidly built and I am pleased with them. I'll probably end up selling the ones I have.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,782 Posts
I like those Esco stands!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts